Please sign in to post.

Rome restaurants!

Looking for suggestions for really good, local type restaurants in Rome. Love, love, love food and we aren't at all fancy. From the SF Bay Area and understand that some of the best food can come from hole in the wall places. Suggestions??

Posted by
8 posts

We're planning our first trip to Italy in September so while I can't give you any personal recommendations one site I've found very helpful is http://www.parlafood.com
I've been using it to take notes on restaurants I definately want to try. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
23270 posts

Where are you staying? Rome is a big city. Doesn't do much good to recommend a restaurant five miles from your hotel.

Posted by
8677 posts

Don't take this suggestion the wrong way but while in Rome, get lost. It's how I found the best hole in the wall deli where I got a memorable sandwich. Same with finding a small store which had the best pears I've ever tasted. It was near my apartment and I'd have the owner choose pears for me each morning. That said, try researching the Ron in Rome and Chowhound websites for suggestions. If you love freshly baked bread the Forno La Renella bakery on Via del Moro in Trastevere is a must. Also in Trastevere was one of the best places I dined at while in Rome: Marco G. Lastly, I found Da Giggetto near the apartment I rented on Porticio D'Ottavia in the Ghetto, to be a special dining experience. Have a wonderful visit.

Posted by
515 posts

You will get responses that are more focused hence more helpful if you let folks know whether this is your first visit to Rome and which neighborhood(s) you are interested in and which transport you'd like use after dinner - stroll? taxi, subway, bus?

Posted by
91 posts

forgot...prefer walking afterwards and 5 miles is actually totally do-able for us!

Posted by
11329 posts

Hi Allison. I heartily recommend http://www.ParlaFood.com, and http://www.RevealedRome.com for ideas. Fred Plotkin's book, "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" is a great read and I am looking forward to following some of Fred's picks on our next trip. Don't let the title mislead: it's not all "gourmet" as in high-end fine dining. He includes moderately-priced restaurants. When we were in Rome, we really enjoyed Roma Sparita in Trastevere, Dar Poeta also in Trastevere, Cul de Sac near P. Navona, and Antica Taverna, a bit west of P. Navona. The latter was definitely a neighborhood joint with a caring owner and decent food at good prices. Happy emany ating!

Posted by
7737 posts

I highly recommend Taverna Le Coppelle, easy walking distance from the Pantheon. It's a bustling pizzeria with outstanding food and incredibly low prices for Rome. Here's the TripAdvisor listing for it. And then check out nearby Giolitti Gelato for great gelato in an old-style setting. Here's their TripAdvisor listing with address. We went back three times to Giolitti.

Posted by
515 posts

Trastevere. Just go there. Graze. Sip. Wander. Here are just a few places. There are so many others. Freni e Frizioni, Via del Politeama grunge chic bar name means brakes/clutches, it was an auto repair shop. Munchies, drinks. Drinks pre 8 ish Enoteca Ferrara, Piazza Trilussa 41 Wine bar, multi level, small plates. Roma Sparita, Piazza Santa Cecilia
The cacio e pepe center of the known universe. Other dishes are very good too. Split them The walk to/from is cool "early" is 7 ish. Later is better, if you can get in Post pics. Better, post vid

Posted by
2023 posts

Some of my favorites: Armando near the Pantheon; Ditirambo near Campo Fiori; Perilli on Via Marmorata-this is one that we never miss on any trip to Rome-the food is wonderful and very Roman style. Giggetto's is good also-love the atmosphere-located next to Teatro Marcello and you can walk through the ruins after dinner.