Please sign in to post.

train from Florence to Sorrento

We'll be taking the train from Florence to Sorrento. Is it worth buying a 1st class ticket? Can we buy a 2nd class ticket? I think I read someplace that unless you're under 26, you have to buy 1st class.

Posted by
3313 posts

Mike - You can buy second class tickets. The 26 year age limit is for second class railpasses.

From Florence you'll buy a ticket to Naples and likely transfer in Rome. From Naples you take a commuter train to Sorrento.

I don't think the extra cost of a first class ticket is worth it.

Posted by
8700 posts

The commuter train is called the Circumvesuviana. It departs from the lower level of the Napoli Centrale station.

Posted by
340 posts

The 1st class ticket is not worth it. We took this route last month but when we arrived at the train station in Naples we took a taxi to the Port of Naples and then took a hydrofoil ferry across the bay to Sorrento. This was more expensive than the Circumvensuvian train but it was fun and we had been on an awful lot of trains by this point on our trip. You don't need a reservation for the Circum. train or the ferry. You buy the tickets when you get there. If it were rainy or windy, I would opt for the train as the bay may be choppy in poor weather.
Remember, regardless of which class you take on a train, you will be transporting your own luggage so pack light and the smaller the suitcase the better.
Have fun - Sorrento was wonderful!

Posted by
1 posts

I just took that trip a couple of weeks ago. You will have to go from Florence to Naples and then take either the circumvasuvia(sp)or the ferry. There are 2 types of trains for the main trip, a slow one and a faster one(Eurostar). The Eurostar costs a litle more but I think the time you save is worth it. I think the trip from Naples to Florence took 3 hours & 18 minutes.We stopped at Termini in Rome but we did not have to change trains.

Have fun
Raul