Please sign in to post.

Venice

We are now in the process of picking our hotel in Venice for our April trip. Which area would you recommend? Mark Square, Accademia Bridge, Rialto Bridge? And a short why. Thanks.

Posted by
11 posts

Fwiw, I'd suggest somewhere close to the axis between the Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco, as that's where many of the most interesting sights are. Our choice was the Hotel Orion, which is in Rick's 2007 guide

Do you have any particular constraints - kids, limited mobility, particular sites of focus, budget, etc.? It may be possible to provide better input with a little more info.

Posted by
139 posts

No restrictions. Just wife and I and we walked all over Paris last year so expect to do the same in Italy. Except haven't got that walking on water part down yet.

Posted by
423 posts

Bill, I would recommend staying in the Dorsoduro area - a nice quiet area - the Zatrer vaporetto stop is convenient and the Accademia bridge is close by.

I stayed at Pensione la Calcina and enjoyed it very much.

http://www.lacalcina.com

Posted by
705 posts

I agree with Gela. The area is lovely and very convenient to everthing. I stayed at the Pensione Accademia just near the Accademia museum and the vaporetto stop. Well priced hotel with good breakfast and staff.

Posted by
479 posts

One of the things I enjoyed most about Venice was being able to see every-day Venitians living out their lives in the city. Many of them commute in from the mainland, but they still spend their working days there.

So, IMO, don't be afraid to stay in an area that isn't necessarily built for the tourist crowd like St. Mark's or the Rialto. Remember that you're on an island. It's a decent-sized island, to be sure, and it's easy to get lost. But you'll get a multi-layered experience by getting into areas where there are more locals and less tourists.

That being said, the wife and I stayed at Hotel Riva near (but not on) St. Mark's. The accommodation is affordable considering the location. The staff is decent and Sandro (the owner) is very charismatic. If you're lucky enough to score a room with a view, the view is breathtaking! Classic Venice.

Posted by
40 posts

Mercurio Hotel has great location and rooms but no elevator.

Posted by
104 posts

We recently stayed at the Locanda di Osaria in the Cannegio area. It's about a 4 minute walk from the train station which was convenient for the luggage. Most importantly, it was very quiet at night, great breakfast and it was off the usual tourist runs. We had a great dinner in the piazza in the Jewish quarter where we watched children play while their parents visited. You can get to all the sights on the vaparettos and/or walk which is so much fun in Venice.

Posted by
17 posts

I spent two nights at the Laconda Casa del Melograno in the Cannaregio area. 2 mins walk from the vaporetto and about 3 from the main street between the Station and Rialto with lots of reasonable restaurants, cafes, bars, and a supermarket. It was about 15 mins walk to the station, longer if pulling a suitcase. Hotel is small and pleasant. An ok breakfast, and less than 100 Euro per night for a single room, which is a bargin. www.locandadelmelograno.it.

Don't delay in booking! I tried to book the Calcina six months before a visit in September and it was full! You need to get on this right now - Venice is popular and there really is no "low" season.

Posted by
53 posts

Just got back from Italy. we stayed at B&B Diamante. They were very nice and brought breakfast to our door. In addition, it is extremely well located, just a few minutes from Rialto, Accademia, and St. Mark's.