Please sign in to post.

Cruise

We are taking a cruise and don't find any information in your books about Messina. Can anyone tell us what we should see and do when we dock there? We are only in port for about 9 hours.

Posted by
2114 posts

Two suggestions: Check the web site (under shore excursions) for your cruise company. Most cruise lines provide information about what to see/do. If not, ask them for it!! Also, check out www.cruisecritic.com where you can search for various ports that most cruise lines stop. You can read about ports,hear what people liked/didn't like, etc. They also have a user helpline,similar to this. When I did a quick search of their site, most people said there was not much to do in Messina, but close-by places were recommended. Also, based on how you worded your question about "your books," just FYI, actual travelers provide answers here, not Rick Steves himself (and not necessarily his staff). www.tripadvisor.com is another good place to check. I might also suggest you change the title of your posting on this site to "What to see close to Messina" vs. just "cruise," which is rather broad as a topic. That way you will attract the attention of those who may know that port. Have fun in Italy, fellow Tennessean :) Which cruise line are you using?

Posted by
23297 posts

We done seven European cruises. Our first approach is to google the port. The port/town web site will list it all.

Posted by
687 posts

According to my Lonely Planet "Sicily" Messina was flattened by an earthquake in 1908, and again by bombing during WWII. I'd take the bus to Taormina (90 minutes), even though Taormina isn't my favorite Sicilian sight. Is this your only stop in Sicily?

Posted by
5 posts

It is our only stop in Sicily. Have been to Italy a couple of times but have never been to Sicily. Looking forward to it but it doesn't sound like there is much in Messina.

Posted by
687 posts

It's a pity - Sicily is a great destination. I think Messina is more of a transport hub than a tourist spot. Holland America says: "Sample shore excursions: Taormina & the Greco-Roman Theater; A Drive to Mt. Etna. " I wasn't impressed with my visit to Mt. Etna and to do it properly may take more time than you will have. I'd do Taormina, but on my own.

Posted by
492 posts

cruisecritic.com boards are helpful for that type of stuff. From Messina, many will go to Taormina or tours to Mt. Etna. Both doable on your own as well.