Please sign in to post.

Ideas For 7 Day Italy Beach Vacation (Aug. or Sept. 2018)?

Hi fellow travelers!

Planning a visit to Italy next Aug. or September 2018 (flexible schedule, but trying to go towards the end of the tourist season for best prices, but still warm enough to enjoy beaches/swimming).

It is my husband's first trip to Italy, so we are planning to fly into Rome and spend one or two days there (Rome and Vatican). We are in our late 20's, active, and love the outdoors. We would like to spend the remainder of the trip (about 5 days) in a beach town, with sandy beaches and a relaxing feel (hoping it won't be too crowded at the beaches if we go later in the summer/early fall).

We've been looking at Amalfi Coast (but found generally limited on sandy and public beaches), Cinque Terre, Sardinia, or maybe the Italian lakes. . .but are open to suggestions.

Any advice?

Thanks!
DM

Posted by
4212 posts

Look south of Salerno (fast train from Rome, but you may want a car when you get there depending on what you will do).
Also look at southern Tuscany--ditto on the car.
Of course Lazio also has sandy beaches, but I don't know that area as well.
Flying to Sardinia would also fit the bill, but I would not want the hassle on such a short trip.
Do September if at all possible!

Posted by
1674 posts

Viareggio is a great beach town. Lots to do and good rail connections to Lucca, Pisa, Florence

Posted by
1025 posts

Ischia. Sandy beaches, easy access from Napoli, good wine, good food, relatively unspoiled by Americans.

Posted by
1 posts

Thank you all!. . .these are great suggestions that would have never been on my radar. I appreciate the feedback!

Posted by
15041 posts

I don't know where you are writing from, but traveling across an ocean to see Italy for the first time for just a week, and just go to a beach would not be my first choice. With the exception of Sardinia and other Italian islands (for which you don't have enough time), I can find better beaches in the Caribbean or Mexico. But to each his own. De gustibus non disputandum est.
But since that is what you want to do, at least go somewhere near Rome but looking good. I suggest the Archipelago of the Ponziane or Pontine islands (Ponza, Ventotene, Palmarila, Santo Stefano), which are off the Latium coast near Rome.
Most Italian beach resorts are empty already after the last weekend in August. Early September is when empty nesters retirees go to the beaches. All others are mostly gone by the end of August or the first weekend of Sept, since schools start the second week in September. Weekends may still be busy in early September but otherwise it may not be too entertaining for 20 somethings. Late September, outside of weekends (if the weather holds) will be nearly dead.

http://www.italytravelweb.it/isola-ponza/
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/may/23/italy-pontine-islands-ponza-ventotene