Please sign in to post.

Clearing Customs

We are flying to Rome from Atlanta on KLM via Amsterdam. From Amsterdam we are on a "domestic" flight into Rome. Will we clear customs in Amsterdam or have to wait until we reach Rome? Hopefully Amsterdam as we have a tight schedule in Rome.

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by
9099 posts

This topic was just discussed on another thread. I say no-no passport check, Chrismo from Denmark says you will have to go through immigration. When you get back you'll have know what the procedure was for you.

Posted by
479 posts

I have flown through Amsterdam 3 times to connecting flights in Europe and I have had my passport checked every time as I changed terminals. The last time was 2005.

Posted by
84 posts

You will have to go through passport check.

Posted by
1127 posts

Customs is a breeze - no paperwork to fill out, just walk right through. It's Passport Control that could hold you up. If a lot of flights land at the same time you could be in line for 45 minutes. However I have also experienced no line at Passport Control & breezed right through.

Posted by
14 posts

Hey Marc
Your flight sounds just like the wife and I' flight on Nov 1st. Where are you headed? We are headed to Rome for 4 days and then on a 12 day cruise. Just curious.
Mark in Florida

Posted by
15679 posts

We just flew Minnepolis to Amsterdam on KLM, then to Rome on Alitalia and found Amsterdam to be a bit of a pain. International flights seem to arrive/depart at E gates - which are a long way from gates for departing/arriving "domestic" flights, and you have to go through both passport control and another security check in between these gates. This was a real problem coming home as we had a very tight connection and almost missed our flight due to long line at passport control. Fortunately, you have time here so it shouldn't be a problem!

Rome was a breeze - walked off the plane, picked up the baggage and that was it. Have a great trip!!!