Please sign in to post.

moneybelt

Is the moneybelt worth getting and how does it feel wearing it.

Posted by
32220 posts

joanne, Most here feel that the Moneybelt is definitely "worth getting", especially as it could prevent loss of not only money but also Passports. In terms of "comfort", I use a waist-style Moneybelt and hardly even notice it. If you're feel that a waist-style won't be comfortable, you might check the Magellans or the Travel Store on this website, as there are other styles available. Happy travels!

Posted by
23340 posts

Also if you scan back, especially in the General Europe, section you will find dozens of conversations about pro and cons of money belts, different styles, etc., etc. Or back up to Travelers Helpline and click on Seaching Helpline Archives.

Posted by
238 posts

I've lived in Europe and still feel more comfortable keeping my passport, large amounts of cash, and credit cards in a moneybelt which I forget all about until I have to go to the bathroom. Then I just have to be careful I don't lose it! But I heartily endorse keeping your important items in a moneybelt.

Posted by
162 posts

IMHO Moneybelts or Hiddenpocket are worth it but this is a topic brought up much, I think you could find soo much info by doing a search as Frank suggests... :)

Posted by
791 posts

They're not expensive, could save you alot of hassle and headache and I hardly notice notice while wearing it.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've tried three different ways. The regular moneybelt style worn below the beltline in front. It's not too bad but could bulge depending on what you're wearing. It also tends to get sweaty. Buy one with plastic lined pockets or put paper in sandwich bags to keep dry. The neck pouch. My wife prefers wearing this under her armpit, tie a knot near the pouch to take up the slack. I go back and forth between this and a moneybelt. A leg wallet. I thought this would be a good idea after seeing a kid wearing one under his basketball shorts on the metro. Unfortunately the straps aren't functional on the only brand I could find. It always ended up at my ankle in full view when I sat down. There is also a pouch that connects to your belt and is worn inside your pants but I haven't tried one of those yet.

Posted by
94 posts

Thank you all for your help. Just got my daughter and I a moneybelt.

Posted by
94 posts

I found putting it under my clothes not right. Putting the elastic band through wear you put your belt felt wonderful

Posted by
94 posts

To All Once the belt is through your pants you put the shirt down

Posted by
94 posts

Just want to inform everyone the moneybelt is FANTASTIC! No hassles. Just put it throught where you would put your belt on and the shirt goes down. Great Luv it

Posted by
687 posts

"Just put it throught where you would put your belt on" Could you explain that? You do know you're supposed to wear it UNDER ALL your outer clothes? (And you may find it more comfortable with the pouch at the back.)

Posted by
9110 posts

"Just put it throught where you would put your belt on" Some money belts look just like a regular belt with a long zipper on the inside. They can hold a bunch of folded bills. Passports and credit cards, however, tend to get a bit messy.

Posted by
1825 posts

Of all the first post questions this is one of my favorites.

Posted by
94 posts

Do you really need to wear a shirt? I am going to Italy

Posted by
40 posts

I used a passport holder that is designed to wear around your neck. It has 2 sections. I put my passport and license in one section and cash in the other. I knotted it around my waist and put it in my pocket. It worked much better than my friends who struggled with pulling up shirts to get money out. I purchased the holder through LL Bean. My husband used carpenter pants with an inside pocket.

Posted by
4408 posts

NOT how you wear a moneybelt. Tuck it in, out of sight. Vicki, you'll never feel that hand slip into your pocket, unzip your moneybelt, and slide out the goodies. You'll be OK, until your number comes up...And Joanne, if you're wearing your waistbelt-style moneybelt as a belt with the pouch hanging outside your pants...same thing. Here's a section of a story titled "The Misworn Moneybelt": "When I reached inside my money belt for my fare card, I realized that, in the short ride from the Reina Sofia to the Plaza de Toros, I had been robbed. While Pete and I had been engaged in an intense conversation about which European city's public water tasted best, a pickpocket somehow reached inside the narrow pouch of my money belt which I had carelessly left exposed under my shirt (my note: and worn over his pants - photo with story) and lifted its contents as I held on to the car's overhead rail. My ill-advised tendency to use the money belt like a fanny pack (instead of like a locked safe) had caught up with me. I lost my European railway pass, my passport, my Air India ticket from London to New York, my positive mood and much of my perspective on the trip's direction." A moneybelt is Your Locked Safe - passport, credit/ATM cards, bulk cash from ATM, airplane/train tickets. You shouldn't be getting into it for money during the day, unless you're paying cash for that cuckoo clock. If you need more spending money, get some out ahead of time in a restroom. "and how does it feel wearing it." Better than my bra (sigh).

Posted by
2349 posts

Finally! Eileen has come up with the definitive argument against the "it's not comfy" complaint. Can we get this as an auto-response? To women-"More comfy than a bra." To men-"More comfy than a necktie."

Posted by
94 posts

To all that have responded Today I will try the moneybelt in my pants. I'll let you know what I think and when I take my trip in July I will let you know what way was best.

Posted by
346 posts

I just returned from Italy and had both a belt wallet and a neck puch. Sometimes I used on,sometimes both,depending on what I needed to carry and how much cash I had. Both worked well, but can be a pain to access. Honestly, sometimes I just had 40-50 Euros in my pocket-although I had sewed a small strip of velcro into the entrance to a pocket-never got tested but I figured I'd at least fell the approach. Another good thing for me was a pair of zip-off pants/shorts. There were lots of front zipped pockets and the side pocket is at least a foot deep-I really have to reach to get any thing out of them and I think I'd notice even a slender arm going down my leg.:)

Posted by
94 posts

Ok I had the moneybelt on all day and it wasn't bad at all. Did not even feel it. Thanks for all the info