Please sign in to post.

Water

Is it safe for my family to drink tap water in London, Paris and Italy? Thanks

Posted by
117 posts

Hi Bob, On a less surly note......... many areas of Europe (including Italy) have better tap water than in the United States. So you will be fine. The UK in fact has some of the strictest water regulations in the world. That doesn't mean, however, that you won't see Italians drinking bottled water almost exclusively - including at resturaunts. I've never been sure exactly why that is. A cultural thing I suppose. Perhaps it dates back to WWII when their tap water wasn't so reliable? In any case, they've been way ahead of the USA when it comes to the bottled water thing. But their tap water is perfectly fine for consumption. Here's a pretty cool article on the drinking fountains in Rome: http://www.roninrome.com/%20living-in-italy/water-water-everywhere

Posted by
117 posts

I should add that if, for whatever reason, a water source is NOT drinkable, there will be a sign that says "Non Portable". Likewise, signs that say "potabile" designate drinkable fountains.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for all the advice, most of my travels have benign out America, where for the most part tap water is a bad idea. Also, here in Chandler although the water won't give you dysentery most people including myself drink filtered water : ) !

Posted by
7737 posts

Water coming out of public spouts in Rome is always safe UNLESS it says "Non potabile". I've never seen a sign that says "Potabile". Just don't do what I saw one young woman do (she wasn't Italian) - She dipped her water bottle down into one of the decorative fountains that accumulate water in big pools (think clamshell). She filled her bottle that way, and then took a big swig out of it. I didn't have a chance to point out to her all the seagulls and pigeons flying overhead that bathe and poop in that very fountain. I hope she had a LOT of Pepto-Bismol with her. I still get the willies thinking about that.

Posted by
23343 posts

Of course -- you are not going to any third world countries. I suppose we should ask if it is safe to drink the tap water in Chandler.

Posted by
316 posts

Is it safe for them to drink the water in Chandler? I couldn't resist kidding you a little!People were drinking water in these places long before there was a Chandler. I've heard people say they were worried about drinking water in Europe many times. You need to remember these are not 3rd world countries but rather countries that were there long before the US was settled. As a matter of fact, you can drink from the street fountains in Italy, something I'd never do here. The water may taste different but to me the worst part is no ice! Enjoy your safe (but warm) tap water.