Please sign in to post.

amalfi coast Italy

My family and I are travelling to Italy this summer . We will be visiting Amalfi Coast for 4 days .I was wondring if anybody has any suggestion which town to make our base. Thank you for suggestions

Posted by
3313 posts

I'll say Positano, because you can get to points east in good time there (Amalfi, etc.) and catch ferries to Capri and Sorrento. Sorrento has good connections to Capri, but is at one end of the Amalfi peninsula, so some long trips to see the rest of the peninsula.

Posted by
32220 posts

caroline, My suggestion would be Sorrento, as it's easier to reach by train (Positano requires a Bus connection). It's convenient to many destinations in that area including Pompeii, Capri and Vesuvius. It's a larger city than Positano, so a better choice of Hotels and restaurants (although Positano has some fantastic luxury Hotels, such as Le Sirenuse). Positano is more convenient to some places, such as Ravello. Which town to choose will depend on what your plans are while in that area. As you're travelling THIS SUMMER, I'd suggest getting some Hotel bookings SOON! Happy travels!