Please sign in to post.

Shipping purchases home

My wife and I have discussed shipping purchases home from Italy since we will be trying to keep our luggage to a minimum. It seems to me, however, that we may be somewhat vulnerable doing this as shops that offer to ship your items have little reason to follow through with the shipment other than their own ethics. While many people wouldn't consider pocketing your cash without sending your goods, I'm sure some do just that. Any stories of this happening, or anything I need to look out for or consider?

Posted by
800 posts

No - we've shipped several times from shops & even our B&B (they produced olive oil) and everything has arrived just fine. And if they didn't I would just cancel the charge on my credit card - same as with any online purchase, etc.

Posted by
1564 posts

We had the shop ship a mask (we paid cash) to our home from Venice last September. They even offered to delay sending it by a couple of weeks as Venice was the start of our trip. It was still waiting for us when we got home! Maybe it would ease your mind if you paid by credit card?

Posted by
11338 posts

You can also ship through Mail Boxes, Etc., in many Italian cities. We did this with leather goods, and also had a couple of wineries ship wine to us. All arrived safe adn sound.

Posted by
48 posts

Last summer we purchased two gorgeous leather jackets in Florence. After bargaining down to the lowest price I then asked the owner of the shops to ship them home for us. We were traveling very light and by train, headed to Cinque Terre next. Best decision ever. Jackets arrived about a week after we got home. Shop owners want to establish a good reputation.

Posted by
23290 posts

I know it is easy from reading the travel site is to assume that everyone of out to get you. When the reverse is true. If the shop ships it for you, often the VAT can be avoided so that the VAT nearly pays for the shipping. We have shipped a number of items and have never had a problem. I think you are being overly paranoid to think that they will take your money and not ship it. Put it on a credit card.

Posted by
361 posts

We have had wine, paintings, statuary, clothes and all kinds of items shipped home from Italy with no problem however, it can be very expensive.

Posted by
4535 posts

As always, you have protection if you use your credit card. Not a bad idea in case there is a damage issue or some mix-up with the item shipped. But no merchant in their right mind would steal from you and they wouldn't be in business for very long. As noted, Mailboxes Etc is a good way to send FedEx (or UPS - I forget which) if you have misc items. It is expensive though even when shipping slow rate.

Posted by
81 posts

Hi Andrea-would you possibly remember which shop? I'll be in Venice in July. Thanks

Posted by
712 posts

Hi all - could someone expand on what they mean when they say it's "expensive" to ship? Is it charged per pound or do they have "if it fits, it ships for one flat rate" type options or anything similar? If you could give a ballpark estimate on what you shipped and how much it cost that would be great.

Posted by
166 posts

Monique, Weight typically determines shipping cost. If you combine a few lighter items such as gloves, belts etc. into one package, it can be cheaper vs. sending individually. If you ship something heavy like wine, you'll pay a fee per item based on weight. We've shipped all kinds of things from Italy back to the US without problem. Paying by credit card offers the best purchase protection, but we've never had to use it.

Posted by
4535 posts

Monique - Shipping costs internationally are based on weight. I've shipped things like some books and small gifts and papers for between $200-300 US. The books add a lot of weight so if it's more gift items, expect at least half that cost. Using the local post office is less expensive, but much higher risk as they are not as reliable as UPS/Fed EX.

Posted by
358 posts

I have had ceramics shipped to my home from Siena and Stresa which came well packaged and on time. In Anacapri we bought some handmade Italian dinning room table/chairs along with some smaller items which arrived in our house in great condition. However there was some extra fees from some shipping company in NYC along with a customs bill.

Posted by
316 posts

Shipping is expensive but is a better native to carrying large items around. What I usually do is pack a duffle bag in the bottom of my suitcase to use for things that won't fit after my bag has been expanded. Then I check the duffle bag with my clothes and any unbreakables I may have bought and pack my carry on with any breakables. Or if packing wine, olive oil, etc. I wrap in clothing, double bag in a zip lock bag, wrap in more clothing and check my suitcase instead of duffle bag since the suitcase has more structure. With the exception of one tiny Hummel plate that was chipped, I've never had anything damaged. Of course, you can't get a table/chairs in your suitcase but this works for most things. Another thing that helps is that I start my vacation in northern Italy and work my way south. About mid-way through, I spend one night in Rome and leave my duffle at the hotel while I go on to other locations. Then I finish up in Rome. The hotel I stay at has never charged me for a storage fee although some hotels may charge a Euro or two per night bags are left.

Posted by
8 posts

I shipped a marble and alabaster bust of David home several years ago and it cost more to ship that I paid for him. Was it worth it? YES! Try carrying that around in your suitcase!!! This year I am going back for the rest of him and I will definitely ship.

Posted by
304 posts

Cost prohibitive! Brunello can be purchased at a great price in Italia. But add the shipping cost to it and fugetaboutit! It would be better to go to local wine shop, buy or order the same bottle and it would be cheaper.

Posted by
500 posts

If you are considering shipping yourself. I just shipped 2 small boxes one about the size of a shoe box the other slightly larger) back from Italy. One cost about 38 euros the other 47 euros they were about 1.5-2 kilos. They arrived in about 5 - 10 days. Bring your passport to the post office if you are sending it by air and there is a lot of paperwork. I sent one from Venice, the other from Florence. I sent mostly little gifts, clothing I figured I didn't need anymore.