Please sign in to post.

Rome for three days

Hello! We are going to Rome this summer for three days. What do we absolutely have to do while we are there? Anyone know a place that might still be performing roman theatre? Also, what are the best ruins to go to? Thanks for the advice!
C

Posted by
23342 posts

There are times when you have to do your own homework. And this one of those times. Go to your pulbic library and check out a variety of tourbooks, CDs, DVDs, watch some of the travel shows on PBS. Since time is short and you look like you are looking for short shortcuts, check out the Rick Steves DVD programs on Rome. Italy and all the other cities you have been asking about.

Posted by
252 posts

Catherine, I've noticed you've been posting the same question all over these forums for different destinations. The question is so broad that one could write a book!! And, someone did! Might I suggest buying Rick's Best of Europe book? It has all the information you are looking for about all the cities you will be visiting. I recommend reading it cover to cover (including places you will NOT be visiting) and then coming back here to ask specific questions. Rick also has FREE information on this site and, in fact, answers most of the questions you are looking for including suggested sites for a particular number of days that you are staying...click on "Plan Your Trip" and then the destination.

Posted by
2788 posts

Get a copy of RS Rome Guide Book (2011 if possible) and read it as it has lots of good information for you.

Posted by
4408 posts

Ditto my other post...and all of the other posts I didn't make...

Posted by
255 posts

Catherine,
I will try to be of some help. Gotta say, three days aren't enough but: get tickets ahead of time for: The Vatican Museum and The Borghese Gallery and get them for as early as possible. The Vatican fills quickly and if you are first in you can avoid some of the crowds. At the Vatican Museum go directly to the Sistine Chapel and see it first then backtrack. Also, get to St Peters as soon as it opens and see it w/o the crowds. The Borghese Gallery will have timed entrances so you won't have the bother of a huge crowd. Use Rick's advice and go to the painting galleries first then the sculpture galleries, most do the opposite so you can avoid those crowds. You can do St. Peters and The Vatican Museum in one day but do the Museum first. In one day you can see: the Pantheon, the Coliseum and the Forum. I would advise seeing the Capitoline Museum and seeing the forum from there, it has a wonderful view. At night, try Ricks' walking tour of Rome. You can't turn anywhere in Rome w/o seeing something of wonder. Also, since you are short on time, I'd take taxis whenever possible if you need to go a long distance. Hope this helps.

Posted by
4152 posts

No one can make suggestions to you about what to see since we don't know you. Without knowing what you like, what you want to see, what you don't want to see, what days you'll be there and how much money you wish to spend it's impossible for anyone to help you. We can give you a list of all the main sites but that is only a basic list and doesn't help much unless you just want to "check off the boxes" of things you've seen. You have to do the home work yourself or your trip will just be a bunch of checks in the boxes. Donna