Please sign in to post.

Venice: Airport to Pensione Guerrato transportation

We have a group of 6 4 adults and two children 5 & 8 and we will be flying into Marco Polo Airport. Is the Alilaguna water bus the best option for travel to Pensione Guerrato? The RS Italy book mentions water taxis for up to 4; is there anything for a group of 6 that would compare to the cost of the Alilaguna (90 Euro for 6 passengers)?

Posted by
293 posts

I forgot to mention the we stayed at the Pensione Guerrato and it was truely awesome. Tell them you want to eat at the place that has a tree inside and the food is so good.I ate there two nights in a row. Have a wonderful time in Venice.
Pat

Posted by
97 posts

We will be doing the same trip later on this year. We will be using Alilaguna as it is by far the best cost to get to Pensione Guerrato.Buy your tickets on line before you go. You will just need to take the Linea Aranchio to Rialto Mercado and follow the hotels directions. Enjoy

Posted by
199 posts

Thanks, Kent. Actually, I think the Alilaguna stop is Rialto Bridge, rather than Mercato Rialto. From what Rick says, Mercato Rialto is a Vaporetto stop only, whereas Rialto Bridge is both.

Posted by
1201 posts

For a group of six, I'd suggest taking a private water taxi from the airport instead of Alilaguna. Here is my reasoning. the water taxi departs from the same general area at the airport docks. The full fare price for Alilaguna for 6 people is 90 euro. The full fare price for the water taxi to your Venice location is 100 euro. So only 10 euro more. The water taxi will you off on the market side of the Grand Canal. Alilaguna will you off on the San Marco side of the Grand Canal at the Rialto stop. You will need to navigate over the Rialto Bridge with luggage and kids in tow. It will take you about an hour on Alilaguna and about half an hour on a water taxi. The water taxi will make you feel like James Bond and will be an unforgettable introduction to Venice. If price is a concern, then a bus to Piazzale Roma and then a vaporetto to the Mercato stop would be about 57 euro.

Posted by
199 posts

Ron...good name, my further research is agreeing with you. Do you purchase the water taxi tickets right at the dock? I found a site online where we could get a taxi for 115 Euro in advance, but your 100 Euro sounds better, if it will accomodate 6 people. Thanks.

Posted by
1201 posts

the price is for up to 8 people with luggage. At the airport there is a spot to purchase in the terminal. As you exit the arrivals area, turn left at the first opportunity. You'll proceed down that walkway until you see the ticket kiosk. Can't remember if it is on the right or left but it is marked. You'll see signs for Motoscafi or Water taxi. the docks are an easy 5-10 minute walk from the terminal. You can take the luggage carts if you need them. You exit the terminal and then turn left and follow the signs to the docks.

Posted by
293 posts

Take a water taxi, you will be their hero!! after a long journey this is worth the money. I have done this twice and never regretted it.The kids will love you for it!! You can take the slow boat getting back.
Pat

Posted by
199 posts

Thanks, everyone, for the great comments. It sounds like the water taxi is the way to go...well worth the small extra cost. Margaret, I'm so glad you liked Pensione Guerrato. We'll be spending 2 nights before a cruise, and 1 after. The restaurant with the tree sounds wonderful. Is it not among Rick's recommended restaurants?

Posted by
73 posts

Well this depends on if money is an issue. When we arrived at MC airport we purchased the valapto pass at the tourist center in the airport for 1 week. Then we got the bus outside the airport to take us to the Piazza Roma for 3 euro. Got on the water transport and got off 15 minutes later at the Rialto market stop. Go through the arch turn right go down two or three lanes turn left we were there. We had no problems getting there just follow there instructions.
This was a great place to stay very central. Have a great time.