Please sign in to post.

First or Second Class

We're traveling from Florence to Sorrento (via Naples) by train and wondering if there's a significant difference between first and second class tickets (aside from the price). Is first class worth the additional cost for a 3 hour train ride?

Posted by
23562 posts

If you did a little searching you find the answers to this frequently asked question. Personally, rarely ride first class unless it is cheaper. Second class is a lot like business class on an airplane -- plenty of room, 2x2 seating. First class, a little more room and 2x1 seating.

Posted by
3551 posts

I do not think so. Second class is a little more noisy, a little less space & a more mixed age,class and ethnicity.
If these are imp to you then go first class for sure. Me I go second class but reserve my preferred seats. This works well for me.

Posted by
2207 posts

Steve, Here's a great article written by GAC on this subject: The differences between 1st and 2nd class on Italian trains. Hope that helps!

Posted by
4412 posts

Steve, for me it depends - if I've had a hectic (and loud) few days, I definitely appreciate being in 1st class with a bunch of very quiet business-types, quietly reading their newspapers - IF the price is right, and/or it's a long train ride. I really cherish my 'zoning-out' time with my iPod music... If it's just a 'regular day', I'd just buy the 2nd class ticket. For a 3-hour direct train, on a nice ES AV train, and for less than 1/2 price of a 1st class ticket (advance purchase MINI fare) I'd definitely go 2nd class. Order something nice at dinner that night in Sorrento with some of your savings ;-)

Posted by
27 posts

FWIW, I just booked 3 legs of our train travel through bahn.de. I booked us (2 adults, 1 teen, 1 almost teen) from Amsterdam to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Munich on 2nd class. For our trip from Munich to Venice, which I've read has some great views, I splurged and upgraded to 1st class. For the rest of our train travel through Italy, after having read the info on differences between 1st and 2nd, I'm planning on booking 2nd. Doesn't seem like there is much difference and any Euros saved can go toward my gelato/red wine fund! :) All told, those three legs of our trip cost me just under $500. A lot of miles covered for not too much money! Wish we had these options in the States.

Posted by
257 posts

I ride the train from Sorrento to Nice in the last three weeks, make a few stops in between. I ride first class ES from Naples to Rome, I paid 49E. Took 1 hour and 45 minutes. If I take the reginale train R, it cost 10.5E, it will take 2 hours and 35 minutes. Some reginale R train are faster, may be 2 hours and 20 minutes. For the ES first class, you have a table. The different is not that much. May be ES have better bath room. Cleaner. For me, I will only take the reginale R 2nd class next time, for the saving. Also, never buy first class if you are take the reginale R. Some of reginale train do not have first class section. I brought first class reginale train tickets from Siena to La Spezia for 4E more than second class, but end up taking the second class anyway. From Naples to Sorrento. It is a local train, only one class and no bath room on train.
Have a good trip!

Posted by
2428 posts

We took fast train from Rome to Naples and thought it was just okay and cost about 44 euro one way/also took slow train which we thought although older was less crowded, took longer but we actually had a compartment to ourselves and cost half price, in future will always take the slower train. The train from Naples to Sorrento is commuter, just one class.

Posted by
349 posts

the difference during busy times can be the difference standing and sitting

Posted by
2829 posts

Those slower trains have been mostly cut. And there is no guarantee you will get a compartment without other strangers (compartments are awkward to share with other unrelated people I think).