Please sign in to post.

passports

Once in italy, do we need to carry around our passports in case some police, officials ask for it or is it safer to keep at our hotel? Thanks.

Posted by
689 posts

Many will say to carry it with you at all times. We carry a copy with us and leave the real thing in the safe in the room. If the room has no safe we put them in the hotel's safe.

It was much easier in the old days when the hotels just kept them!

Posted by
127 posts

NO!!!! don't carry it around...that's how i lost mine after going to the borghese gallery, trading it in for the darn audiophone, and i must have sloppily put it back in my money belt.first of all i was NEVER asked for my ID...[this is italy not america], and ANYtime you need ID, your smaller driver liscence is fine: i later caught on [speaking of audio phones] that giving a 50.00 euro in trade works just as well..i did make copies of ALL my ID docs., and it was only a 1.5 hr. deal getting a new passport.u do need an ID if you want to use the internet cafes[terriorist saftey], but drivers lisc. works fine.ANOTHER side bar: internet cafes: u can buy a "skype" membership and actually talk to home for VERY cheap..i think it is 10eu to sign up, then it is like pennies per minute...there are more internet cafes then public phones[that work].

Posted by
934 posts

My passport is in my moneybelt at all times and my wife also keeps hers in her moneybelt at all times.I can never forget it and if needed I have it.It is safe underneath my clothing.

Posted by
9 posts

We kept ours in our money belt and left a copy in our hotel room.