Please sign in to post.

Heart of Italy tour

Planning my first RS tour....Heart of Italy in 9 days. If you have taken this tour, did you arrive a day early and stay in the same hotel used to start the tour? If so, when do you find out which hotel is used in the tour?
Also, I didn't see it mentioned in the "What's Included" tab so am I correct in assuming transfers from the airport to the first hotel are not included in the price of the tour whether arriving a day early or not? Thanks !

Posted by
32219 posts

Cliff, I normally arrive at least one day prior to the start of the tour, as it allows me not only get over jet lag but also have a look around. I always book the same Hotel used by the tour, although I sometimes have to change rooms when the tour starts. When is your tour taking place? You'll generally receive an E-mail or note from the tour department fairly soon after booking, which will show your first and last tour Hotel. About a month prior to your tour, you'll receive a more complete list which will show not only all of the Hotels you'll be using, but also a list of your fellow tour members and the name of the Guide. No, transfers are not included. Your tour starts at the first Hotel, and they'll provide instructions on the easiest methods to reach the Hotel, whether you're arriving by air, rail or whatever. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time! Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
1589 posts

Have you called the RS support staff number?

Posted by
5 posts

Ken , Thanks for the information. Just what I wanted to know. Bob, I have not called RS office because I'm just planning to take his tour later and have not actually booked the Heart of Italy tour yet. Just looking ahead to flight planning and budgeting. Thanks again !

Posted by
372 posts

Hi Cliff, I hope you enjoy the HoI tour as much as I did in October 2009! Like you, I booked a little late, and ended up flying into Venice the day before the tour started. I trained to Florence the next morning, and checked into the hotel around noon. Transfers are not included, but the hotel website will provide into on how to get from the train to the hotel. It will likely be just a short walk. We stayed at the Hotel California and I seem to remember the info with the hotel names came out about 3-4 wks before the tour began. There was a fellow from California on the tour who arrived at the hotel while our meet and greet was underway - after travelling from the west coast overnight he was totally out of it! It would make sense to arrive at least one day early if you can. Enjoy your trip, and if you have specific questions you can PM me.