Please sign in to post.

Transportation questions

We have 2 weeks in mid-September, 3 days in CT, 3 days in Tuscany, 4-5 days in Amalfi area and 2-3 days in Rome. Would appreciate any suggestions on sequence of stops, rental car v train, etc. It sounds like we don't want a car in CT or Rome and that a car would be good in Tuscany. Not sure about Amalfi. Thinking of starting in the north but not sure which airport to fly into. Should we drive from CT/Tuscany to Amalfi or take a train? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by
3313 posts

Do not drive to Amalfi. Drop your car short of Rome, maybe Orvieto and train through Rome and then on to Naples and then to Sorrento. Bus or ferry for the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
32224 posts

Jim, In the same situation, I'd fly into Milan / MXP. Depending on the time the flight arrives, it shouldn't be a problem to go directly to the C.T. From the CT, go by train to Tuscany. Where are you planning to stay in that area? Depending on which towns you plan on visiting, a rental car may or may not be the best idea. Note that for driving in Italy, there are few "issues" that you'll need to be aware of. Post another note if you need further details. Could you elaborate on where you plan to visit in the "Amalfi" area? It's a large area with lots of possibilities. Depending on what you're planning to see, Sorrento makes a good "base". I'd suggest travel from Tuscany by train as it will be much easier, although you could drop your car in Orvieto as suggested in the previous reply. You may have to adjust your time in each place slightly, to allow for travel times. You'll usually need to allow at least half a day each time you change locations. Do you have a preference for which area of Rome you'll be staying? I normally stay in the area of Termini station, as it's so convenient for transportation (which will also make it easy to get to the airport for the flight home). With the two week time frame, did you allow for the two travel days? The flights to and from Europe will require one day each. Happy travels!