Please sign in to post.

Train from Florence to Venice

Driving from Tuscany and dropping the car off at the Florence airport before taking the train to Venice. Should we buy our train ticket in advance, or pick up at the station that day -- Wednesday May 18. Thanks.

Posted by
500 posts

If you know what train you will be taking you can buy a mini fare in advance and save money. I have pre purchased my Venice-Florence and the High Speed intercity portion of CT-Rome and I saved about 50% on one and 30% on the other.

Posted by
45 posts

Which site did you use to prepurchase the ticket?

Posted by
182 posts

that is a regular run. lots of times every day. probably can walk up, i have many times. have fun, be safe.

Posted by
833 posts

The Ron in Rome link will give you great information. If you want flexibility time-wise, then buy it at the station that day. It is a regular route and you shouldn't have a problem getting tickets. On the other hand, if you know your schedule and which train you'd like to take, then buy it ahead of time because you can save a lot of money with the Mini fare.

Posted by
3313 posts

Why not keep the car and drive to Venice? That will save you time and Venice is a very easy place to drop a car.

Posted by
45 posts

Ok - I think I'll spend the extra money and get the ticket that day. We are going to drop the car off in the morning and spend a few hours walking around Florence before taking the train -- and I'd hate to have to cut short something we happen to be doing just to rush to the train station. That's not very "vacation-like" for me. As to why not drive to Venice, I actually agonized over that and posted it as a question a while back. Opinion was split about 50-50 and I had to make a decision so that we could get the rental car in place. Basically flipped a coin and the train to Venice won! Thanks for all of the input.