Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Florence

My fiance and I will be in Italy for 10 days in November. We are spending 4 days in Rome, 3 in Florence, and 3 in Venice. One of the days in Florence is a Sunday and everything seems to be closed. We are looking at a day trip to Siena and/or Pisa. Can both be done in one day? Is it worth going to either of them or should we just wonder around Florence instead?

Posted by
59 posts

Wandering around Florence is always a nice option and lots of things are open on Sunday.

Day trips to Siena and Pisa(not on the same day) are also good possibilities as is Lucca which I prefer to Pisa.

TAB

Posted by
1633 posts

Pisa takes a full day in itself. As stated in Rick's Italy book, get the tickets right when you arrive. We had to wait 2 hours before we could walk up into the tower. Yes, it is very commercialized on the outer areas of the tower and baptistry, however, it is great to see and visit. My husband and son really enjoyed the "engineering" aspects of the tower. If you want to see a small hill town and you are spending 4 full days in Rome, you could take a one hour train ride to Orvieto. It has a beautiful cathedral. We enjoyed visiting this quaint town. It is also in Rick's Italy book. Your itinerary sounds great--have fun!

Posted by
48 posts

If you are interested in taking a day trip to Tuscany, I would recommend The Accidental Tourist. We just got back from a 10 day trip with 3 days in Florence. We took a cooking tour with them on Saturday and did the Uffizi and Acadamia on Sunday, but you can do any of the Accidental Tourist tours on Sunday as well I think. We did the cooking tour, which included a wine and olive oil tasting and it was one of the best things we could have done. Really nice people and great food.
www.accidentaltourist.com

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Bill.. we are going to Italy in Sept.of 2008 and I have been in touch with soneone thru the web at Italianwelcome.com who books group and day tours. She is very personable and maybe able to give you a lot of info. We are taking a day tour of Tuscany but taking it from Rome.. Jeanne is booking our day trip and mapping out some great sites. She's told me of two towns that are quite tourist free - and really indicative of the Tuscany experience. I am not sure if their rates are high compared to to other ways to see Tuscany for a day but you can email Jeanne at jepasqui@tin.it. She will pleased to hear from you. And her English is perfect she altho now she is Florentine, she was born and raised in Philly, USA. Good Luck.

Sherry