Please sign in to post.

Phone in Ireland

Hi, Amy and I will be traveling in Ireland for 3 weeks this April and we are wondering what is the best way to have a cell phone to use while we are traveling. Our Verizon phone will not work over there and so I guess we are looking at buying a phone or renting one. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Posted by
2367 posts

You should post this on the Ireland site if you have not done so. Never rented a phone anywhere, we just used the local phone cards so can't help. Good luck.

Posted by
973 posts

Right with the Verizon phone rental, IF you must have people calling your regular phone number. They send you a global phone ( brand new or barely used) and switch you over. You can even retain your contacts. As someone has already said in another thread, do you realize how many people have your cell number to whom you would NOT wish to speak while on vacation? It's not a bad program, nor is it rock bottom pricing; I thought for peace of mind it was within reason.
However, do the math- YMMV.

Posted by
94 posts

Melissa, great point. Thanks for this. I will continue to explore my phone options (to buy or to rent). Andy

Posted by
244 posts

I'm buying an unlocked Motorola V190 used on Ebay for about $18 delivered. This is a quad band GSM phone. When I arrive in the country I'm visiting (Italy in my case) I'll buy a sim card so I can use the phone. We also use verizon phones in the US, and I've talked to Verizon. As I understand, if you have a verizon phone that you can use in europe, your calls cost $1.29/min. I believe it will be much cheaper per min if I buy a sim card in Italy. Now, think about this...your friends call you to chat about small talk, and it's costing you $1.29 per minute. I think it is best to have a phone with an italian number and then let your friends/family/work who might need to get ahold of you have the number. They will think twice before calling a number in Italy. If you've got your home phone number, I see very large calling charges.

Posted by
40 posts

How will you know if the Motorola V190 works in Italy before you leave the country? I read in another thread that the ebay phones don't always work overseas, and that seems an unpleasant surprise. So, what do you do to be certain? Thanks.