Please sign in to post.

Train Reservation Questions

I have a Eurail Regional Pass, and I need to make seat reservations. First, here's my travel schedule: May 11 – Paris Gare Lyon to Venezia S Lucia via Milan May 15 – Venice to Florence May 20 – Florence to Volterra (by bus, I think) May 22 - Volterra to Cinque Terre (by bus, then train) May 25 – Cinque Terre to Rome So, a few questions: 1. I am sure I need to book the seat for Paris>Venice, but what about the others? 2. If I book the Venice>Florence upon arrival in Venice, would that be wise, or should I get it now? 3. I think I'll be okay with the Florence/Volterra/Cinque Terre legs, but what about C.T.>Rome?
4. And, what is the best route for C.T.>Rome: via Florence or down the coast via Livorno? Thanks

Posted by
8700 posts

You're welcome, Robert. Since the Rail Europe site lists a $15 reservation fee for Paris-Milan alone, I assume the $29 fee is for both legs. The timetables on the German Rail site will show you all your routes from any CT town to Rome.

Posted by
120 posts

I feel vindicated. I called them, and the cust. rep. went to the web page and admitted that it was confusing. Anyway, I did managed to get the reservations booked. One more thing checked off; about 100 to go.

Posted by
8700 posts

I assume you'll be taking the 07:42 TGV to Milano. For Paris-Venice you'll need to buy two seat reservations, one for the TGV from Gare de Lyon to Milano and the other for the IC train from Milano to Venezia Santa Lucia. It would be wise to buy them well in advance. High-speed EuroStar Italia trains run once an hour between Venezia Santa Lucia and Firenze. If you can be flexible with which train you take, you should be fine buying your reservation when you arrive in Venice. Your pass won't be good on buses. You can buy reservations for any other trains requiring them when you arrive in Venice.

Posted by
120 posts

Thank you, Tim.
Just before I posted here I was about to reserve the Paris/Venice - got as far as the RailEurope's Shopping Cart. The $29 fee seemed to include both trains. Could I be misinformed? I'm curious about the best train route from C.T. to Rome. Would going through Florence be faster?