Please sign in to post.

Rome to Siena

I will be traveling from Rome to Siena this summer and have tried at Trenitalia's website to view a timetable of trains for this trip in July but it keeps telling me nothing is available. Are their no trains that travel between these two cities?

Posted by
7737 posts

You're asking too far in advance. Figure out what day of the week you'll be traveling and plug in the same day but an earlier date and try again.

Posted by
257 posts

Kathy. I check out Raileurope, WWW. raileurope,com for 7/15/2011.
From Roma, Termini to Siena. No problem. They have it. Maybe it is too early for Trenitalia. Check it later.

Posted by
6898 posts

RailEurope is nothing but a ticket broker. They are not Trenitalia. It's interesting that RailEurope will show train schedules far in advance when Trentalia s their schedue in mid-June RailEurope has to modify their schedules once Trenitalia s theirs. As mentioned above, you are looking out to far. Simply, pick a date that is 2-3 weeks out on the same day you are traveling. The schedules will show up. When the schedules , you'll need to check back. With 8,000 train runs a day, not too much changes. Little tweaks here and there. All of that being said, you might find the SENA bus a better choice. They run out of Rome-Tiburtina train station (4 stops away from Rome Termini on the underground Metro B). It's much less expensive and the bus drops you off at the city wall whereas the train station is almost a mile slightly downhill from the city wall. Also, with the train, you will have to change trains at Chiusi. The bus is direct.

Posted by
833 posts

Consider the bus, it may be the best choice for you. As far as the July being unavailable, they have not released the July schedules yet and won't do so until it gets a little closer. If you look at June's schedule, you can base your plans around that because the schedule should not change much if it does at all. But tickets will not be available for purchase until the July schedule is released. On the RailEurope site it may show a time schedule for that point, it is just guessing it based off of the June schedule. They too will not be able to purchase your ticket and ship it until the July schedule is released.

Posted by
4535 posts

I also recommend the bus. It'd be faster and very economical. More schedule options too.

Posted by
1538 posts

Third recommendation for the bus. Believe it is Sita. It is clean and fast. You take the metro to Tiburtina and get the bus in a parking lot across the street from the metro station. We bought our tickets online in advance for a lower rate but if you do that be careful on the time you select as the ticket can only be used for that time.

Posted by
6898 posts

The bus from Rome to Siena is the SENA bus. SITA is from Siena to Florence and many other parts of Tuscany. The info on Rome-Tiburtina is correct. From Rome Termini, you take the Metro Line B to Rabibbia and go 4 stops. That's Tiburtina.

Posted by
257 posts

sena.it, do they have English version? Also, I try to check out April 29, Rome to Siena, no Schedule. Too early?
Thanks

Posted by
257 posts

Kathy, I checked out the map for the Hotel. It look like 2 to 3 miles from the Train Station. ( Train Station is located northeast of the town and the hotel is southeast of the town) The bus will stop at the central (Centro) of the town. I do not know they will make any other stop by you hotel or not. Maybe bus will stop by the train station. If you have to take a taxi. According to RS, it is hard to find any expensive.
Have a good trip!

Posted by
26 posts

Rick, we're waiting on the SENA schedule to be released for April 29th for Rome to Siena as well. By my estimation it should be released in a few weeks.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks everyone. Here's my situation: I will be staying outside the city walls at Frances Lodge-one of Rick Steves favorite places. Thinking the train would be a better option but I can't find where the train station stops to make a decision if the bus or the train is closer
to Frances Lodge. Anyone ever stay at Frances Lodge?

Posted by
26 posts

I have verified that the bus does stop at the train station since we need to catch a local bus to Castellina there. The name of the bus stop at the train station is Siena FS and it stops there before going into town.

Posted by
934 posts

Steves book states that Frances Lodge is 1 mile outside of town and best for drivers. A taxi from town costs $10.00.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks, I think the train would be more comfortable and then I will get a taxi or local bus out to Frances Lodge. I appreciate everyone's advise and comments.

Posted by
153 posts

You could also catch a city bus to within a few blocks of Frances Lodges. You can see the lines listed on google maps. You could easily come from either Gramsci or the train station, though I think to this location, train station would be a bit faster. It would also be a cheaper cab.