Please sign in to post.

Any runners out there?

Our family of 5 is traveling to Italy in May. Has anyone run any races in Italy? We'd like to run a 5K or something similar while we're there if we can find one that's convenient. I've checked Runtheplanet, and runner's world but nothing is listed except marathons. Just curious about this. We'll still take our daily runs but we thought this might be fun.

Posted by
833 posts

I forget which race it was, but there was a race when I was in Arezzo this past May/June. I believe it was a 5k but I might be wrong. I'll ask some of my family and see if they know more information.

Posted by
16415 posts

apparently there is a 5K Race for the Cure in rome on May 22. The website is under construction, but I did find this: "La XII edizione della Race for the Cure di Roma si svolgerà domenica 22 maggio allo Stadio delle Terme di Caracalla, con partenza alle ore 10."

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks Michael, Yes I did check Runtheplanet, but could not find a list of races that I could understand. I can't get the pages to translate. We'll just ask when we get there.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks very much! Lola, do you remember where you found that information?

Posted by
16415 posts

I Googled "5K races Italy" and came up with this website, with a list of events: http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/italy-running-events/ Then I Googled "Race for the Cure Rome" and came up with a Komen Italia website, but it says it is under construction. The link to the Rome event works, but not the link to registration from there. There must be anaother way to find the info. When will you actually be in Italy?

Posted by
7737 posts

If you share both when and where you'll be in Italy then people may be able to help you out with specific suggestions. Good luck. And when/if you're in Rome, be sure to do a lap around the Circus Maximus while thinking of the chariot races.

Posted by
132 posts

As a former runner. You might want to give the names of the cities and towns in Italy you plan to see. And when. With a bit of luck someone living in Italy and hopefully a runner or former runner can help you. Someone who knows the local running scene. I assume there's also an Italian counterpart to the RRCA (Road Runners Clubs of America), and local running/track club equivalents. I might even start with the local running scene. Especially the local club or race director to see if they can direct you to potential contacts. The RRCA might also have a link to the international society. Good luck.

Posted by
132 posts

I found someone who might be able to direct you. he Rome Hashers.
I assume they're insane. Like the Hashers in this country. Yep. Just looked at their site. Their site is risque. They're hashers. I wasn't one. But have known lots of hashers. Party animals. They are a link to the running community. http://www.rh3.it/index.htm

Posted by
36 posts

Hi again, We'll be in Italy May 21 - 26, staying in Panicale, traveling from there. Panicale is between Florence and Rome - a hill town. (Lots of good hill workouts:)

Posted by
36 posts

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. I have lots of places to check now:) Thank you. I'd even be happy to find some local people who would like to run together. Thanks again.