Please sign in to post.

Suggestions

I am trying to plan a Europe trip. I have been 2 times and my husband has never. We only have limited days so does anyone have any suggestions?? I would love to go to Paris, London, and Rome. Also question has anyone been to Sorento?? If so is it worth it?? I would love all feedback that I can get. Thanks

Posted by
3313 posts

What is "limited time"? I could see trying to do this with two weeks on the ground (not counting flying in and out of Europe). Sorrento takes a little time to get to by train and I wouldn't try to cram it into a two week trip with the big city destinations you list.

Posted by
4 posts

HAHA that is the problem. We only have from like a Fri to the following Sun. NOt nearly as much time as I want. I want to do London, Paris, and Rome. But a travel agent found a trip to Rome and Sorento only. I was just curious about Sorento because I don't know of anyone who has gone.

Posted by
1317 posts

Is that Friday - Sun of actual, full days in Europe? If you are leaving the West Coast of the US on Friday, you won't reach Europe til Saturday, and you will probably lose all or most of Sunday as well, depending on your flight. That means you would have exactly a week, Saturday - Saturday. One week is barely enough time in one of those cities, let alone all three. You could pair London-Paris or maybe Paris-Rome and be ok, but I don't see fitting in all three. The more times you change locations, and especially change countries, the more money and time it will cost you. I haven't been to Sorrento, but it sounds lovely and a Rome-Sorrento trip could be another potential pairing. It might be nice to do one big and one small city.

Posted by
500 posts

If you don't really know or care about Sorrento but want to go to London Paris Rome I'd pick two of the cities either Rome Paris or Paris London. Spend half your time in each.

Posted by
791 posts

Myself, with the amount of time you'll have, I would pick one city and maybe do a day trip to a surrounding area. Haven't been to London or Paris but would imagine it's pretty much the same as Rome....a week will barely scratch the surface.

Posted by
408 posts

I would fly into London and stay 3-4 nights and then take the chunnel to Paris and stay 3-4 nights and then fly out of Paris. The chunnel is a neat experience in itself. I would save Italy for another trip. Rick Steve's has a tour similar to this.

Posted by
7737 posts

Your question is so broad, I suggest buying the Europe thru the Back Door book as your starting point. Scan through it, consider buying some of the more specific books (Paris, Rome, or even the country books) then come back here with more specific questions. Good luck.

Posted by
32212 posts

sarah, As the others have mentioned, a week doesn't really provide sufficient time to visit all three cities. While theoretically you could spend two days in each city, it's also very important to consider the travel times between them, which in some cases will be the better part of a day. You'll also have to keep in mind that you'll lose a day at each end of the trip. You'll arrive in Europe the day after you departed (and will be jet lagged for a day or two after that), and the last day will be spent on the flight home. Is there ANY possibility that you could get a few more days? When are you planning to take this trip? Given the circumstances, my suggestion would be to focus on London and Paris this time and leave Rome for a future visit. I'd suggest using open-jaw flights (inbound London, outbound Paris). Although you've been to Europe previously, starting in London might provide a more "gentle" introduction for your husband (with no language issues). Regarding your questions on Sorrento, it's a wonderful place to visit and a good "home base" for exploring Pompeii, Capri, Positano or other locations in that area (you'll probably return home with at least one bottle of Limoncello!). However, I'd suggest spending at least a few days there so that you can enjoy it properly. Happy travels!

Posted by
9 posts

Sarah, With a limited number of days, I would consider either a London-Paris or Paris-Rome trip. Choosing one of these 2 city trips you will be able to use the high speed trains for travel between the two. Having lived in Paris for 3 years, I would definitely make that one of my cities. Rome would probably be my other choice. London is great but I have been several times. Hope this helps as it is a difficult decision. You can't go wrong with either, but I don't think you have enough time to all 3 cities. Safe Travels Dan

Posted by
6 posts

Spent 3 nights in London on a trip around England - this wasn't nearly enough time - Would agree with previous suggestion - pick one city and spend more time around there - remember the time you will be losing traveling from one city to another - with only 10 days, it is definitely time lost

Posted by
90 posts

All those who recommend choosing 2 cities, or even one, are absolutely right. Having been to all 3 at least a couple times, I would choose Rome- Paris for 2 cities and Rome for 1 city, but that's my personal choice. Remember, you can't "do it" all in one trip, especially a relatively short one. BTW, Sorrento is beautiful and best left for another trip when you have the time to enjoy it.