Please sign in to post.

Rome to Pompeii

What is the fastest train that goes to Pompeii. We are staying in Rome but would like to take a day or to and go to Pompeii and Sorrento. We are going in November, do you think I should just rent a car and drive? Thanks

Posted by
1056 posts

You'll have to take a regular train to Naples and then go to a different place in the Naples train station to catch the train called the Circumvesuviana (around Vesuvius). It takes you to Pompeii and Sorrento. From Rome it makes a very long day but you can do it in one day if you start early. It would be more relaxing and far more fun if you'd consider staying in Sorrento overnight. I don't have an opinion about renting a car, but would hesitate to get a car in Rome (traffic horrible) just for one day and then have to go through the hassle of returning it. I think it would take up the same amount of time that taking the train would take.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks alot. I was reading in the Rick Steves book about the Euro train from Naples to Rome, so I thought it would go from Rome to Naples. Yes, we want to stay overnight since my granddaughters want to see Pompeii. Thanks for your prompt reply

Posted by
3313 posts

Ginny - By the time you take into account how long it will take you to pick up a rental car and navigate out Rome, you could practically be in Naples. Plus, Pompeii is really in suburban Naples and probably not the easiest to drive to. Take the train and enjoy yourself.

Posted by
1127 posts

Don't rent a car for a daytrip to Pompeii. If you don't have time to stay overnight why not visit Ostia Antica instead? It's just outside of Rome and very enjoyable.

Posted by
891 posts

Ginny,
Consider taking the train, changing in Naples to the Circumvesuviana and staying in Pompeii.We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Amleto in Pompeii and spent the whole middle day walking ALL OVER the ruins. Hotel Amleto is 1 block from the Cathedral square in the town and we enjoyed walking around the town and doing what the Italians do, people watch. Hotel was nice, good breakfast, great bathroom. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. www.hotelamleto.it

Posted by
712 posts

Just saw on Viator.com they have a bus that runs from Rome directly to Pompeii. It is a 3 1/2 hour bus trip each way. You have 4 hours on your own in Pompeii.
The bus gets you back to Rome about 7PM. You should bring a packed lunch and drinks. The bus makes one rest stop each way. I was thinking of booking it. It drops you right at Pompeii, so you can use the time for walking there.

Posted by
7209 posts

The circumvesuviana train also drops you right at the ruins entrance...Pompeii Scavi.