Please sign in to post.

Train Ticket Questions

I have been on trenitalia.com many times looking at my schedule options and pricing. So, here are my questions: 1) How far in advance should I buy my train tickets? 2) Do you recommend buying online before leaving or waiting until arrive at the station? 3) Will ticket prices continue to go up as we get closer to our trip time in April? 4) If I buy a ticket for a certain train time, but miss that train, does my ticket work on the next train?
5) How does it work if I am connecting and miss my connecting train? I am not planning to miss any trains, just want to be ready to trouble-shoot should it happen. THANKS!!!

Posted by
9100 posts

Bad news I'm afraid......trenitalia.com doesn't accept US credit cards. You will have to purchase your tickets once your arrive in Italy. If you have a reservation for a specific departure and miss the train, it's not valid for the next train. If you purchased a restricted discount ticket you're out of luck. If you purchase the most expensive fare, your can exchange you ticket for another departure.

Posted by
23290 posts

If you look around a bit you will find several questions and discussion on this same subject. Short answers. 1. The only advantage to booking in advance is some discounts on some trains may be available. Space is not issue on trains. 2. Your call. We always buy when we get there simply because it is easier and more convenient but may miss a discount or two. 3. No. You are buying a train ticket not an airline ticket will limited seating capacity. 4. Depends on the ticket. Many advance purchase discount tickets will have some limitations. If the ticket is train specific - coach, seat reservation - then you have about 90 mins to get a new ticket unless it a special discount ticket that prohibits change. If you have an open ticket -- not train specific -- just validate the ticket in the yellow boxes and get on the next train headed in the right direction. 5. Again, it depends on the ticket. If train specific then the conductor on the train (rarely seen on Italian trains) or more likely the ticket office at that station will issue you a new reservation for the next train. If open ticket, just get on the next train. You should always be prepared to miss a train 'cause it happens.

Posted by
6898 posts

As you look at the Trenitalia train schedules, note the type of train. For the Regionale (R) trains, you buy the ticket, validate it at the little yellow machines in the train station just before boarding and take your seat. No seat reservations permitted. The R tickets are good on any R train making that same run for up to 60 days. You won't see any reference to seat assignments or train times on the R train tickets. On all other train types, you will need seat reservations. These tickets will have your seat assignments and train departure times on the ticket. If you miss your train, you can go to the ticket window for up to a couple of hours later and make adjustments but you won't like the inconvenience. Most of the high-speeds in Italy run frequently enough that you don't need to have your tickets far in advance. As soon as you arrive in Italy, you can begin purchasing your tickets at any train station. 1-2 days in advance is normally quite satisfactory. One area that may cause traveler's heartburn is landing at Rome FCO and needing to travel immediately to Florence, Venice or Naples. Again, the high-speeds are frequent - you won't have difficulties. We can be more informative on your train tickets if we can learn more about your itinerary.

Posted by
32213 posts

Christa, It would help to know which locations you'll be visiting? Regarding your questions: 1) I often buy tickets a few days in advance when I arrive in each city (since I'm at the station anyway). It's not necessary to buy weeks or months in advance. 2) I never buy online, and certainly wouldn't recommend that. It's very easy to buy tickets in Italy, either at the ticket windows or from the automated Kiosks (credit card required). 3) Ticket prices are often "adjusted" once or twice a year, but I've never seen them vary appreciably. There should be minimal difference between now and April. 4) That depends. If you buy a ticket for a EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita or other "premium" train with seat reservations, the ticket will NOT "work on the next train". You'll have to go to the ticket office and arrange another ticket. I've never encountered that so don't know if there will be any costs associated with a new ticket. If you have a ticket on a Regional train with no seat reservations, the ticket should be fine. 5) If you're connecting and miss your train, you may have to deal with the reservation issue as described in #4. If reservations are not applicable, simply check the schedule and take the next train - there will usually be another along shortly. One important point is that you don't want to be caught on a train in Italy without a valid reservation for that train, as you'll be fined on the spot and it's not cheap! The Conductors these days are carrying wireless Terminals, so the fine will be on your credit card instantly! Also, DON'T forget to validate! You might find if helpful to read the "Rail Skills" chapter in Europe Through The Back Door. Happy travels!

Posted by
32213 posts

Christa, You may find it helpful to also have a look at This Excellent Description of train tickets in Italy. Browse some of the other sections of the website also, as there's LOTS of information on travelling in Italy. Cheers!

Posted by
2207 posts

If I may, let me add a few thoughts.... some of which the experts have covered. 1- A few folks have emailed me and told me that they WERE able to purchase tickets on the Trenitalia website using US credit cards. Trenitalia has "posted" it will be easier for folks outside if Italy to purchase tickets. That said, you should purchase in advance IF: - You can pre-purchase and get a discount (of up to 67%) using the new MINI discounted ticket. - You are sure you will MAKE these trains as these MINI tickets have NO value if you miss your train (although examples have been posted that you can book a later train and get 50% on your MINI ticket... not how it reads, but apparently how it's being handled in a few cases) - Bottom Line - if you're not fixed on your trian travel dates, don't buy these tickets.
- You can purchase tickets 60 days in advance on Trenitalia. 2 - Again, if you get the discounts, then buy online. Unless you are here Holy Week or during a major holiday, trains do not usually sell out. If you cannot get the deals, then wait until you get here are use a Train Station kiosk to avoid the lines at the Ternitalia counters.. 3 - Ticket prices will not go up, but MINI discounts may be sold out as Trenitalia controls the "flow" of these discounts. 4 and 5 - As discussed, depends on which type of ticket you buy. The MINI's are obviously restricted, but other fares require a simple change fee... There is a "myriad" of answers to that question and your following question... Train travel in Italy is much easier than most folks believe - until they go and do it. Then, after a few trips you'll be a train veteran!

Posted by
1003 posts

If you read Ron's info. it will give you lots of good info on train travel in Italy. We have always rented cars while traveling in Italy/Europe and my husband drives but in 2009 I was traveling with my sisters and I know I wouldn't be driving over there let alone a stick shift. I read all Ron's info/photos on trains and it was great. Our trip went very smoothly and I couldn't believe how confident I felt reading the schedules, etc. As previous posters stated, if on a Regionale train be sure to VALIDATE your ticket. Otherwise if you are traveling on a train that needs reservations the reservation will come with your ticket unless you are using a Eurail pass then you must purchase a reservation--We saw lots of people getting fined for this. Have a great trip!

Posted by
791 posts

I should probably mention that in the past year or so, the tickets guys have gotten much less tolerant of people who don't validate thier tickets. Years ago you could play the ignorant tourist card and usually get away with it but I think they've gotten tired of so many people doing it and have started cracking down, particularly on trains frequented by tourists (Venice, Cinque Terra, etc.).

Posted by
134 posts

You validate your ticket by slipping part of it in a yellow metal box that prints a time stamp on it. The yellow box is usually right on the train platform where you board. If you do not see the yellow box, mime placing a ticket in something. I use sound effects too "voom". No language barrier. As I was clearly a tourist with the deer in headlights look, everyone was quick to remind me that I must validate before boarding.

Posted by
791 posts

And here's a tip - don't wait til you get to your track to validate your ticket if you can help it. It's happened more than once that I figured I'd validate in the machine on my track because I was in a hurry and when I got there either it wasn't working or there was a line of people and I didn't have time to wait so I had to jump on the train without it and hope for the best (see my earlier post). I always validate before I get to my track now just to be safe.