Please sign in to post.

Croatia's coast OR Italy's western coastline

Where should we go? Croatia would be virtually from Dubrovnik to Lake Bled
and Italy would be focused on the Amalfi, Lake Como, Cinque Terre & Sorrento. Looking for experts that have been to both areas and have overwhelming feeling for one or the other.

Posted by
71 posts

This is a tough question, because both have to much to offer. Without knowing your interests and the time of year you are traveling, I'll just try to give you some of my general thoughts. The off season (Nov-March) in parts of Croatia (Rovinj, Spit, Trogir, etc) can be a little dead. I was in Dubrovnik this past October and we had great weather, warm, but not hot, and the crowds were very manageable. Even Diocletian's Palace in Split wasn't that crowded. The weather in Oct/Nov can also be iffy-we had rain 6 of the 7 days we were in Croatia. I have not been to Lake Bled, so I cannot speak to that. My favorite parts of the western Italian coast are Genova, the Ligurian coast, and Naples (I'm a city person). I liked Amalfi, but was not a fan of Sorrento. Another thing to consider is how you want to travel. Do you plan on renting a car? If not, be prepared to take some buses in Croatia. Both coasts offer spectacular scenery, Roman ruins, and a lot of history. If it were me, I would go to the Italian coast if you were traveling during the offseason (Nov-April), and Croatia during the rest of the year. If you are looking for something different, and want to get more off the tourist track, then I suggest Croatia. I will say that nothing I saw in Croatia compares to the dramatic beauty of the western Italian coastline. I hope this helps you a little. I love both areas, and I think you will not be disappointed with whatever you choose!

Posted by
306 posts

You would certainly get more bang for your buck in Croatia since it is not in the Euro zone. One Kuna is worth about 18 cents.