Please sign in to post.

Best way to travel from Rome to Positano?

Hi everyone, My husband and I are traveling on our honeymoon to Italy in July 2011. We will be spending a few days in Rome and traveling down to Positano from there. Can anyone recommend an easy and fast method of travel via train and/or ferry between Rome and Positano (we do not want to rent a car)? Since we will be flying back home to New York City out of Rome, we will need a fast and convenient method for traveling back from Positano to Rome as well. Any advice is MUCH appreciated! Thank you.

Posted by
1449 posts

fast and convenient aren't the words to use here; you're looking at around 3-5 hours of travel. Here's some options (1) train to Naples, cab to ferry dock, ferry to Positano (2) train to Naples, train to Sorrento, ferry to Positano (3) train to Naples, train to Sorrento, bus to Positano There may be other options such as a direct bus, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for the quick feedback! Someone at work was telling me that it's possible to take a ferry from Positano to Salerno, and then a train from Salerno to Rome. Does anyone know if this method might be faster? Thanks again :)

Posted by
2876 posts

Yes, you can take a train from Rome to Salerno & then a ferry or hydrofoil from Salerno to Positano. This is actually the most direct route. If you prefer, you can also take a ferry from Naples to Positano, as Mike said. Then just reverse the procedure when you go back to Rome. You are traveling in high season so all the ferry companies will be operating a full schedule.

Posted by
425 posts

From June through September, there is also a DIRECT (no changes or connections) bus from Roma TIBURTINA Station to Positano, operated by Marozzi Bus Lines: www.marozzivt.it It cheap (20.50 Euros) but slow (4.5 hours) Otherwise, the best way from Rome to Positano is to take a fast train to Salerno, then the ferry boat from the Concordia Dock (400 meters from train station) to Positano: www.ferroviedellostato.it www.coopsantandrea.it (April through October ferry boats)