Please sign in to post.

Train from Naples to Sorrento

Hi,I understand that from Rome , we will need to go to Naples then change train to go to Sorrento. I heared from a friend that We need to be careful at the train station in Naples. I haven't check out the details yet but is it easy to change train to Sorrento ? Thanks.

Posted by
32212 posts

sally, If possible, have a look at a copy of the Italy 2011 Guidebook as it contains all the information you'll need on rail travel to Sorrento (I usually pack the Guidebook along, as it's valuable reference during trips, especially if plans change). To answer your question, when you arrive at Napoli Centrale, you'll need to go downstairs to reach the station for the Circumvesuviana commuter train. That's what you'll use for the trip to Sorrento. Line 1 is the one to Sorrento as I recall, and the trip is approximately one-hour. YES, you'll need to be "careful" in Naples and on the Circumvesuviana, as there's always the possibility of theft. However, that's also true at Roma Termini, Milano Centrale and other stations in Italy. Wear a Money Belt and watch your luggage! Happy travels!

Posted by
348 posts

Agree with Ken, dont worry just be aware and always have you stuff near you and put your purse, wallet or whatever not exposed to a quick theft

Posted by
7737 posts

The inside of the train station in Naples isn't as bad as the surrounding area. Since you will do that transfer without leaving the station, there's not much to worry about. Just be alert like you would in any big city. And the danger isn't about violence - it's about pickpockets.

Posted by
811 posts

the train from naples to sorrento is not too bad. if you take it during off peak hr it's relatively empty with bunch of school kids or old folks. another option you can take a speed boat (taxi from train station to the terminal). taxi is pretty cheap and fast. the speed boat terminal is cross street from the new castle - it's a pretty magnificent building you can swing by take a couple of pictures with good view of the city as well.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi Sally, I agree with all the replies. Last summer, a tourist I met on the train from Naples to Sorrento had just been pickpocketed and lost his wallet but he had his wallet in his back pocket!!! As long as you wear a money belt, you'll be fine. Also, the only other issue is that you will likely have to carry your luggage DOWN the stairs to the Circumvesuviana train in the Naples train station. My luggage was quite heavy and a nice gentleman helped me (while I kept my hand over my purse....of course always wear a purse that goes across your body and sits in front of you not behind you!!!). Have fun! Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are BEAUTIFUL!
MARY

Posted by
3580 posts

I passed thru the Naples train station last fall. It has been upgraded, enlarged, and much improved since I was last there. It's a shopping/eating mall as well as a train station.

Posted by
646 posts

I agree with the other posters. Wear your money belt. I was in Naples last October and used the circumvesuviana a number of times. Never felt threatened of had a problem. But, then I'm used to NYC subway.

Posted by
735 posts

Thanks everyone for the all the reply to my post. It made me feel better now to change train in Naples as I was getting worried with all the stories I heared. I wonder what would be the preferable way to go to Sorrento - by train or speedboat. I will ask this question in a separate post.