Please sign in to post.

Driving in Italy

I'm planning on driving in Italy in May(next month). (Rome, Siena, Pisa, Florence, Venice) A friend of the family has STRONGLY recommended against driving from Florence to Venice due to road conditions, traffic, etc. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of traveling these roads? I don't want to change my travel plans based upon one person's opinion unless I hear the same from others. Thanks!

Posted by
473 posts

We haven't driven in Italy, so I can't comment directly upon those roads. But in general, a car is just a pain in big cities in Europe. Between the trains and the public transportation in moderate to large sized cities, there's no need for a car. Parking is horrendous and twisting street layouts make navigation an exercise in frustration. In small towns and rural areas, a car makes much more sense. But given your itinerary, I would VERY STRONGLY advise against a car.

Posted by
500 posts

I think it depends upon why you want to drive. I have never driven from Florence to Venice, but I have driven in Tuscany and on the Amalfi Coast. I don't think it is that difficult to drive OUTSIDE of the big cities.

If you are mainly visiting the cities you listed, there is really no reason you would need a car.

Driving in Rome or Florence is a nightmare and you can't take a car to Venice.

All are easily accessible by public transportation. And, if you are staying in those cities, a car would probably be a huge headache as you will likely have to pay for parking and will not be using the car.

If instead, you are interested in taking side roads and making your own discoveries in the countryside, then a car makes sense.

Posted by
508 posts

I agree with the other posts - a car can be a pain, but it can also be invaluable. If all you are doing is traveling between Florence and Venice with no overnight stops in between, then the train is the best option. A car is only handy for the out of the way towns (such as Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast) that are not easily accessible by train. Also, the train is usually much faster than car travel.

Posted by
2 posts

Definitely driving for the adventure of driving and seeing the scenery along the way and being able to stop and see things along the way. I've already been to each of the large cities we are visiting...but now want to see them in a different way. Thanks!

Posted by
14 posts

Carrie,

I'm with you, we always rent a car, even when that means paying to park it in the big cities. There is nothing like having the freedom to stop where you want and you'll see places you never could with a train. I just returned from Italy and yes we did the drive from Florence to Venice. The roads were fine, no problems, just stay on the autostraude and you will be fine. FYI- Parking in the outside lot in Venice is 20E per day.

Posted by
241 posts

Like others say do not attempt to drive in major cities, especially Florence. It may seem easy at a distance but is not. Do not trust hotels when they say they will arrange access permits in the restricted zones of Florence. I like to rent at airport, which usually provides easy access to main highways. I do not like to rent at in-city locations. You cannot drive into Venice. Renting is best used for driving in the country and to areas not easily accessible or convenient by bus or train.

Posted by
241 posts

Driving on Amalfi coast can be challenging. You should be able to pick this up from websites about Amalfi coast.

Posted by
69 posts

I drove to Venice from Slovenia last summer without issue. Venice should not be considered an issue at all since you can't drive there. You park your car on the mainland then either walk or take a water taxi/bus into the city.

I parked at Tronchetto garage for 20EUR for 24hrs. I'd do it again without fear.

Posted by
934 posts

I second driving but I would suggest parking in Mestre.Secure parking is across from the train station and the trains rune often and take 5 minutes.It is cheaper in Mestre then Venice.