Please sign in to post.

cheaper airlines

3 of us will be traveling from San Francisco to Venice and out of Rome in July. One of us will stop in Boston on the way back. The dates are rather fixed so am looking for cheaper airlines within Europe. Easy Jet seems to have cheap fares. Anyone with any experience to share?

Posted by
1035 posts

I like Easy Jet. With any of these budget airlines, read the fine print for extra fees carefully, particularly for bags. You didn't say where you are going within Europe, but I like this site for planning: http://www.eurocheapo.com/flights/ Scroll to the bottom and you can determine what budget airlines are flying out of individual countries/cities and where they go. There is also a decent review of some budget airlines. **500 posts. Does that entitle me to apprentice status in the blue book cult?

Posted by
17 posts

We have a family member who is living in Europe and she uses Easy Jet frequently and has had only good experiences.
Note the luggage/carry-on info on their website to avoid problems.

Posted by
500 posts

Where are you flying to within Europe? Often it is easier to take a train.

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks all. Our plans are to get to Europe using miles or as cheaply as possible and fly to Venice; train to Florence; train to Rome and fly back from Rome. One of us will return from Europe to Boston and 2 of us will fly from Europe to San Francisco.

Posted by
500 posts

You need a US or worldwide Carrier to get you to and from Italy. Easy Jet just flies within Europe. Then you just need train tickets Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome.

Posted by
3250 posts

We've flown Easy Jet and have had no problems. You can also check other discount airline options on www.whichbudget.com Edit: I would add that with Easy Jet and other discount airlines they sometimes fly to airports further outside the city. Something to be aware of when you book your flight.

Posted by
842 posts

Sarah, use WhichBudget.com to search for lo-cost inter Eu airlines. Note that Ryan air "usually" DOES NOT fly into the main airport; ie they use Frankfurt Hahn rather than Frankfurt proper; which is miles away. And closely watch baggage restrictions. when they say "one carry-on" they mean one carry on; a purse, and a carry-on are not allowed on many of these!

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks. I'm looking at easyjet but they fly out of gatwick and the cheapest sf flights are into heathrow.

Posted by
508 posts

Sarah - Check into British Airways. We have used them several times in and out of Heathrow to Rome, Pisa, Istanbul, Athens, etc... For the convenience of not having to change airports in London, their prices are very reasonable and there are no extra fees like the other airlines. Check your routes on www.kayak.com to what sites to book. Usually it's cheapest on the BA site but sometimes other sites are cheaper. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
81 posts

Thanks Julie-I'll check them out. It started to get complicated to fly to Heathrow and navigate getting to Gatwick to pick up Easy Jet.

Posted by
2207 posts

Sarah, I've been using Momondo for many of my short European flights. They may give you some "local" vendors to work through. I've used Danish companies through them and had much success. (But I'm in Denmark so it does default to some local vendors - some which are pretty cheap!). Also, you might read Flying Budget Airlines in Europe for some insights into the limitations and challenges of the using the smaller airlines. The biggest challenge for my wife has always been luggage! But after living here four years, she's learned to do a week with under 15 kilos! For her, that's a major accomplishment. Of course, on shopping trips I always find myself paying the "overage" fees on our return flights - LOL!