Please sign in to post.

Dolomites in Early May

I'm considering spending a day driving through the dolomites rather than getting to my eventual destination (St. Gilgen, Austria) a day earlier. Do you get good views driving through the Dolomites? Worth one day less in Austria? I love road trips.

Posted by
850 posts

The views will be so good driving through the Dolomites that you will wish you had two days. Or three. Stop where overlooks are available and take in the views and take plenty of photos. One of the great scenic drives in Europe.

Posted by
2912 posts

Hi Greg, Yes, spending a day driving through the Dolomites is worth one less day in St. Gilgen. That's not to say St. Gilgen isn't worth getting to, but the Dolomites are amazing. Like nothing else you'll see in the Alps. Do you get good views driving through the Dolomites? You get some of the best views this way! Our favorite for incredible scenery is the Gardena Pass. Next would be the Sella Pass (it actually branches off the Gardena Pass). If you have a good day, we've done this loop (I'll start from the Val Gardena, but it can be started from anywhere along the way or in the area): Val Vardena over the Gardena Pass to Coravara (Alta Badia). From Corvara over the Campolongo Pass to Arabba. From Arabba over the Pordoi Pass, to the Sella Pass back to the Val Gardena. Four passes in an afternoon. There's a nice roadtrip! If you get to drive only one, I'd make it the Gardena Pass. We've done four trips to the Dolomites: 10/03, 4/05, 10/06 and 10/09. Paul

Posted by
4 posts

We love visiting BOLZANO in the Dolomites, it is such a romantic city with so much charm. We have been to the area in Austria, beautiful; but staying a day in Bolzano is worth the diversion. Have a great trip!
Runnergirl

Posted by
83 posts

The Dolomites are a must see. Extraordinary scenery. Paul's post is xlnt. info. Consider spending more time if you can. Easy walking trails through alpine meadows to more challenging hikes. Good meal at a refugio. All very nice.