Please sign in to post.

hot water

So I saw in an older post that you're lucky to get 15 min of hot water in the non-chain hotels. Is that right? There's is going to be four of us, is it going to be impossible for us all to shower and be warm? Thanks everyone!!

Posted by
2207 posts

Hmmm... I guess it depends on the hotel - The city of Rome DOES have hot water! I'm not sure you can take one older post, and one person's experience, and make a generalization that there is NO hot water in Rome. In the Rome apartments we lived in, and the hotels we stayed at prior to relocating to Rome, we never lacked for hot water. I'd probably be more concerned in an apartment with a small hot water heater than a hotel - but that's just my experience - as compared to that "older" post.

Posted by
32219 posts

Leslie, I don't think it's accurate to "generalize" that all non-chain Hotels have limited hot water. It will vary from one location to the next. In some cases, the hotels have installed modern "on demand" water heaters, rather than using a conventional hot water tank. If that's the case, you shouldn't have any problems getting adequate hot water (however, taking one hour showers may raise some eyebrows). The size of the Showers in European Hotels may be more of a concern. Unless you plan on staying in large, expensive Hotels you'll likely encounter the famous 3' x 3' Shower on occasion (I was re-acquainted with those in Rome this year). They're not bad once you get used to them, but some "dexterity" is needed (and don't drop the soap!). The biggest problem is with small showers that use a lever control for the water. If you happen to "bump" the control accidentally, you'll get really hot or really cold water. Cheers!

Posted by
791 posts

In my experience the on demand heaters are fairly common. There's four of us also and we have never run out of hot water in hotels (non chain places). You'll probably be ok.

Posted by
2193 posts

Travelled all over northern Italy...never had any experience at all where the water wasn't as hot as I wanted it to be. I agree that the info you received is an exaggerated generalization...sort of like the things you hear about Europeans not wearing running shoes, when there are Adidas and Nike Stores everywhere. Another weird generalization I read was that someone once mentioned that video games aren't as popular in Europe as they are here. They must have missed all of the Grand Theft Auto posters at the train stations, the EA Sports ads on TV, and the GameStop stores all over the place. There was quite a large gal posting here a couple months back worried about her two-hour showers...she probably would have run out of hot water.

Posted by
2091 posts

Leslie, we have found that it all depends on which hotel and even then, which room in that hotel! This also applies to water pressure!
Over the years we've also found that at some of the hotels where we've stayed a second time that improvements have been made...uh, or become worse. Just another reason to have an up-to-date guide book or recent recommendations.

Posted by
99 posts

Darcy, Sorry off subject but we live in the same town. :) small world after all Michael, That was the post I read. I searched for the hot water thing and that was what came up which prompted my question. 2 hours........that is ridiculous!! But then again I made my husband get a gym membership so he can go and take his 45 min to an hour shower. People can be silly :)

Posted by
525 posts

4 trips to Europe visiting many many cities - I did actually run into this one time and only one time. At the Cinque Terre in Vernazza. We had a great place to stay with only one drawback. All the hot water we had for showers was mounted on the wall and it was about 1 foot by 1 foot container. So we got about 4 minutes of warm water before it went ice cold. For the 2 nights we were there - no biggie. Just got the important bits washed and it somehow added to the charm of our time there.

Posted by
32219 posts

Leslie and Darcy, As you both live in the same city, there's a good possibility for starting another Rick Steves meeting every month, as they have in Denver, Sacramento and other locations. Of course, this might not be possible if you don't have a Panera Bread outlet in town!!! Leslie, "45 min to an hour shower" Good Grief!!!! My energy bill would increase considerably with showers that long. Cheers!

Posted by
2091 posts

Yes, Leslie and Ken I noticed a few days ago that Leslie and I both live in Lewiston...It would be great to have an Lewiston-Clarkston get together but I guess we'd have to meet at Starbucks. (The coffee shop, not the town in Washington!) Leslie, I sent you a private message the other day; have you checked your profile for private messages?
Oh dear! This has nothing to do with "hot water" except that I'll be in hot water for going totally off subject!!! Sorry!

Posted by
10252 posts

A shower that lasts 45 minutes to an hour? What could he be doing in there? Wait, never mind...I don't think I want to know!!!!!!!!!!