Please sign in to post.

Compression socks

No matter how much I flex my ankles, get up and walk around, and refrain from crossing my legs on a trans Atlantic flight, I always end up with swollen feet. I saw some compression socks advertised at Brookstone's, and I wonder if these are good or if there are others out there that work well.

Posted by
990 posts

You could give them a try, it couldn't hurt. If you need compression hosiery for medical purposes, though, they might not be enough. (I had a DVT from a long haul flight and get my compression socks at the doctor's). You might ask your doctor about them before your next trip. Another thing to try is to reduce sodium consumption before your flight. Sodium helps the body retain fluids, so perhaps reducing your sodium intake would make a difference, too.

Posted by
15589 posts

I wear flight socks (must be the same as compression socks) and am so much more comfortable than I used to be. I have poor circulation, and my legs would bother me the entire flight. And my feet don't swell either.

Posted by
23282 posts

I think you really need to consult your doctor. This is an area that can have some serious problems if you get it wrong. My wife wears compression stocking but it is more like pantie hose. According to her doctor the light weight, over the calf or lower leg are nearly worthless -- not enough compression and it only moves the potential problem higher up the leg.

Posted by
345 posts

I swear by compression/surgical socks! Since I have foot and knee problems along with having had several surgeries, I find that my legs feel much better while wearing the socks, both on the plane and when I sightsee. I do wear another pair of socks over the compression hose for appearance purposes. The socks that I wear are medical ones for which my calves and feet were measured. I purchased them at drug stores. I have tried others from various sources but like the medical ones better. If you have time before your trip, check out several sources. Try the Brookstone brand and talk to your doctor and/or druggist. You can also try www.FootSmart.com. Good luck! Bev

Posted by
1170 posts

I have to use compression socks on a daily basis as I have a history of blood clots in my legs (DVT) from sitting all day at a computer. They are a must for me when sitting for long hours at work or on plane trips. I HIGHLY suggest these to you, especially if you have swelling issues. YOU NEED TO BE WEARING THESE!! A blood clot (DVT) in your leg is a serious medical issue that can lead to a pulmonary embolism and/or heart attack, and even death if not caught and treated. I have this issue myself, and as a result, I have to fly first class on transatlantic flights so that I can prop my feet up. It is still a problem however. I recommend "Jobst" hosiery. They are fairly expensive, but worth it. You will probably need the ones with the least compressive force, 15-20mmHg. I purchase mine online from this store. You can call them and they will help you decide what is best for you. http://www.supporthosestore.com/ Case in point. There was a woman (a nurse) where I work who went to Europe and then came back, didn't know that she had developed a DVT, and died from a clot that went to her heart. Very serious stuff! Don't buy the cheapies from Brookstone. They are not of medical grade and won't give you the support you need.

Posted by
1170 posts

...ALSO, start taking Aspirin 325mg daily several days before your flight. This works as a blood thinner and will help keep you from developing blood clots.

Posted by
281 posts

I purchased compression knee highs and they worked well for a couple of trips. After that it seems I had a problem with them staying up although I always washed them in cold water. I bought them at a large medical supply store and they stocked several
brands. In the future, I will probably go for a highter compression. The one I purchased was about $28.

Posted by
194 posts

I have used compression knee highs from Magellans during several flights to Europe and haven't had a problem with the swelling that I also get in my feet (usually when I travel to Hawaii - a combination of the flight and my sodium intake of the local food that I inhale as a local myself). I finally started wearing them on those Hawaii flights also and it has helped considerably. This year I purchased the Magellans Fresh Leg Compression Sleeves - yes, definitely pricier - but they worked great and fit from ankle to knee. I didn't have any swelling after long flights to Europe, plus I felt they were more comfortable than the knee highs. Try them; you'll like them.