Please sign in to post.

budget hotel in Rome?

We'll be in Rome for 2 nights in April '08. Any suggestions for a clean 2-star hotel in the 80-90 Euro range, preferably near Termini? (or is that impossible?)

Posted by
29 posts

Jean, "The Beehive" is a very reasonable, clean, and friendly place to stay. I stayed there this past July. It's less than a 5 minute walk to the train station (you can see the station from the entrance). They have private rooms. They also have a small restaurant downstairs. I spent 3 nights there (July 27-29), and it really was a quality place to stay.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Erik...This looks great! I've already sent an inquiry.

Posted by
423 posts

Jean, you may want to consider Hotel Pensione Italia on Via Venzia just off of Via Nationale. It's a 15 minute walk from the train station. I think it would fit your price range. The staff are very helpful and pleasant.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Gela...I was about to post another request, as the Beehive didn't have availability for 4 rooms. Just to clarify, have you stayed at the Italia fairly recently? I noticed the most recent review on TripAdvisor was from 2003!

Posted by
423 posts

Hi Jean, yes I stayed at Hotel Italia back in late April early May this year for 3 nights. They have a decent breakfast that is included. It's in a very good location within walking distance to many things and the staff is very pleasant and helpful. PM me if you have more questions.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Gela....Unfortunately, I've heard from the Italia & their doubles are 130 euros ($177). I really need something around 90 euros. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks...

Posted by
97 posts

The couple that owns the Beehive also runs a booking agency called Cross-Pollinate (www.cross-pollinate.com) that lists small B&Bs and apartments all over Rome. Plenty of the places they list are well under your limit -- although it's important to notice when the prices are per person and when they're per room!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks once more....I've sent an enquiry to this website also. The hard part seems to be finding four rooms, which doesn't sound like such a big deal...but B&B's are often smaller than that. Hopefully this one will turn up something.

Posted by
64 posts

You may want to check out www.romeby.com. My aunt and I found the Palmara Residence online there. The rate is 86euro/double room/night and is fairly close to Termini (two or three blocks). Looks nice, spacious and clean. The site offers numerous places as well as feedback/reviews you can read over. There were quite a few with decent ratings and good (for rome) prices.

Posted by
127 posts

another option you might consider are hostels..i know the word might evoke a bad connotation, but i went totally hostels the 2 weeks i was in rome/florence/naples; they are secure, clean, and more then a few have 4 rooms "to share"..price range is the winner: between 20 to 80 euro.my fav. was "casa olmata" run by a very nice couple..Mirela was gracious..[also recomended in RS'S book]

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for the last two responses also. I've been unable to find the Palmara Residence, but have checked other 2-star hotels & B&B's on romeby.com. My big problem, obviously, is that April is high season! So I'm having trouble finding anything under 120 euros x nt x room. The hostel definitely looks interesting to me....I'll see how adventurous the rest of the group is ;-) Still open to other suggestions....

Posted by
3580 posts

There are many budget hotels north of Termini. I have used listings in Let's Go books to find them. (Rough Guides are good, too). The area is ok, in my experience (I'm female). Some of these hotels use the internet for reservations, but aren't listed in the hotel service internet sites. E-mail several of the hotels yourself, with your requirements, and see what responses you get. I've done that with Rome and Venice and have succeeded in getting a room that I can afford. If you are traveling the week of April 26-May 1 you will be there in the middle of a holiday week, and many places in Italy will be more crowded.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Swan...I'm off to check Rough Guide now. Good grief! I knew 5/1 was a holiday (Labor Day?), but is the whole week a holiday??? Glad I started looking semi-early...

Posted by
127 posts

jean: i was there in rome this past end of april, into may...i too was concerned about these "holidays", but truth be told: i noticed NOTHING special, no closed museums, restaurants, etc., other then cool parades...:]

Posted by
423 posts

I was in Rome this past May Day. Some restaurants were closed and the obvious banks were. All the museum entrance fees cost 1 Euro that day which was great. There is a huge concert starting at 2pm until about 11pm. It was televised. I noticed that residents took an extra day or two off (it fell on a Tuesday this year) so the trains were crowded on May 2 when I left for Florence.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Gela, Jim & Scott...Great info. Sounds like a fun time to be in Rome. Unfortunately, Giovy is already full (can you believe it?)...but I'll continue the search! Anyone have experience w/self-catering apartments there (that would accommodate 7 people)? Many won't rent for only 2 nights, & some have told me they don't rent more than 6 mos. ahead.

Posted by
113 posts

I believe Cathy meant Palma Residence. I'm also looking at www.romeby.com for my trip in July. Some of the B&B's being offered do not have much Reviews and must be rather new. And by the reviews, it could be a hit-and-miss choice, as some may just be too critical and others are much more lenient in their reviews.

Posted by
15 posts

Have a look at www.accommodationz.org ; they have a wide range.
I haven't stayed in any so I can't recommend anything specific there.
I'm looking for something in May in Rome . I'll let you know if I find anything good!

Posted by
261 posts

Since you're looking for several rooms, check VRBO.com for apartments. We found a 2 bedroom for 135 Euros. Cheaper than a quad room at a hotel. If a rate seems higher than what you are willing to pay, try negotiating once you make contact with the owner.