Please sign in to post.

tipping

Do you never tip in restaurants or just when there is a cover?
Are there times you should tip?

Posted by
689 posts

We always tip. Larger amounts if no servicio is automatically added to the tab. Check the menu- it will tell you.

Posted by
103 posts

The servers in Europe get higher wages than we pay here in the states.. a tip is not expected but very very appreciated...

Posted by
705 posts

Kate's right the wages are much better. If service is included in the bill then theoretically you don't have to tip but I tend to round the amount up leaving a little extra. If service is not included and it was good then tip. Tipping is not as common place as it is in the US.

Posted by
479 posts

If you read Rick's travel blog, he posted a blog recently that Europeans regard Americans as the best tippers in the world. Just do what you think you should do, and you'll probably be fine.

Posted by
1589 posts

Sandy,

No server anywhere in the world is paid a salary which offers a comfortable lifestyle. Tips are never turned down anywhere. Be generous & have a great trip!

Posted by
45 posts

Unless you get exceptional service at a restaurant (the waiter befriends you, and you build a bit of a relationship with them) then no it is not needed. Just round the bill up to some nice even amount and it is fine. We tip the bellhop and the cleaning staff, so they take "good" care of our belongings in the hotel. Also, I tend to tip the taxi driver by rounding up especially if they were chatty and tried to be helpful.

If you plan on coming back because you liked the food in a restaurant or are going to stay at the same hotel again (same trip or near future) then by all means tip! You will be taken care of the next time

Posted by
144 posts

we tend to eat in the same restaurants again and again, since we have a condo in wurzburg. so we do tip in our favorite places, and i know it is noticed by the staff. we always get a good table, we often get a special after dinner drink, and sometimes we are given a nice bottle of wine to "take back to america." i think my husband often overtips, but it has never been refused!

Posted by
53 posts

We just rounded up to the next Euro. That's pretty much the custom...No one will get hurt if you do that! :) Don't even bother with the 20% mentality - that's strictly American! Only give extra if you REALLY liked someone!