Please sign in to post.

Health Insurance

How important is it to purchase health insurance for travel to Europe? We are traveling to Italy and Slovenia.

Posted by
705 posts

For me an absolute must. I'm sure their hospitals are good but I know I'd feel a lot better being flown home and treated here if I was seriously injured or ill. OK it is another expense but if anything happens you are covered and as part of the whole trip quite a small amount of money. For me it's just peace of mind.

Posted by
57 posts

Years ago I fell and broke my leg in Mexico and spent a week in a small Mexican hospital and had two operations... My insurance company Blue Cross Ins. would not do a medical evac. because it was not life threatening...even though it was an open fracture. I now always purchase medical/travel insurance so that I can have medical care at home rather than in a foreign country where I don't speak the language. Travel insurance is on a sliding scale according to your age and the dollar amount of your trip but it is relatively inexpensive compared to paying hospital bills and air evacuation on your own and for your own peace of mind!

Posted by
215 posts

Last summer I fell ill in Venice with the symptoms
of a heart attack. My health insurance would have
covered it, but the hospital simply said no thanks,
you are our guest as an American, the benefits of
universal health care. By the way, my problem was
dehydration and exhaustion, a caution to those of
us who don't drink enough water and try to cram in
too much under the summer sun.

Posted by
423 posts

Just before leaving for my first trip to Italy this past May, I became ill. I debated whether to take the trip. But then I read in Rick's Italy book for each city I was visiting there was a medical clinic or hospital close by and it was free (except for "house calls"). I felt better knowing the care was close if I needed it. Fortunately, I didn't but it was comforting knowing that is was available.

Now if you traveling to the bushes of Africa, I would say, buy the medical insurance and the "flying doctors".

Posted by
221 posts

and depending on where you are, a small village or isolated area, the care may not be what you need and transport to a large medical center may not be available. For peace of mind, travel interruption and medivac insurance for me is a must and it is well worth the investment. Plus, if you have made reservations with a credit card, you will be reimbursed all that, cost of tickets or tours as well if you should have to cancel, become ill or your travel partner does. You may never need it, but if you do you will be so grateful you have it.

Posted by
705 posts

This is an interesting post. I have only needed my insurance once and that was in Zurich. I went to the hospital and was taken in to see a doctor straight away when I told them I had travel insurance with medical cover. I did pay - can't remember how much but I did get it back when I returned home and made a claim. Obviously things differ from country to country. FRor me even more reason to have insurance.

Posted by
9099 posts

Gela from San Jose wrote:"Now if you traveling to the bushes of Africa, I would say, buy the medical insurance and the "flying doctors"".
There is a problem with this assumption. If you were to suffer a severe leg or hip break that required you to be immobilized for several weeks, no hospital anywhere in the world would let you take up a precious hospital bed until your bones healed. They will send you home to recuperate. It will cost you a minimum of $20,000 to evacuate you from Europe, Africa, or anywhere else to your house. Travel/evacuation insurance is essential.