Please sign in to post.

Milan: bologna, Genoa, verona

Hi All, we have 2 days after Milan and before arriving in Nice and anm trying to decide between bologna, Genoa, verona for a 2 night stay. Can anyone recommend one city over the others? It will be at he end of December. Withe thanks in advance, Kathryn Australia

Posted by
1829 posts

Have only holidayed in Verona (last time 2008) and Bologna (one vist 2010) and really liked both. Both very walkable cities

Verona was the first place in Italy we saw where the bicycle seemed the transportation of choice rather than scooters! Some lovely architecture and pale pink marble sidewalks in the centre. Last time we stayed at an aparthotel but they only do minimum 7 night stays.

Bologna had been on our to-do list for too long and after visiting wished we had visited before. It was a very friendly, bustling but laid back place a bit more down to earth (in a nice way) than Verona. The centre is more or less traffic free. The hotel we stayed at, Hotel Paradise (in a small apartment but breakfast in the hotel included in the price) is located halfway between the station and Piazza Maggiore and had some of the friendliest staff we have ever met.

Sorry not to be of much help in deciding but IMO you would enjoy either and both have enough to keep you busy during your stay.

Posted by
3252 posts

I haven't been to Genoa but Verona and Bologna are two of my favorite cities. A lot of conventions are held in Bologna and sometimes accommodations can be either difficult to find or more expensive than other cities. The restaurants in Bologna are excellent as are the markets. Verona on the other hand is a little smaller, cozier with a good Roman Archeological Museum and a Roman amphitheater. Both are a convenient train ride from Milan. For me, it would be a difficult choice but either would be a good one!

Posted by
7737 posts

We enjoyed Bologna (amazing food) and are thinking about going to Verona in May because we've heard so many good things about it. I've yet to hear anything good about Genoa.

Posted by
990 posts

I'd cross off Genoa; it's more gritty than charming. Verona has the most surface charm but Bologna is a foodie's paradise. I think Bologna has a few more indoor things to do (an Archaeological museum, the Basilica, among others) compared to Verona. (And no, I'm not counting the Romeo and Juliet house as worth a visit.) Being a winter visit, you might want to consider that.

Posted by
1170 posts

I loved Bologna. It is not very touristy and the food was great. There was also a great deal of good shopping that was not of the "tacky tourist" variety. Genoa is an industrial city so that may be not the place to go. I've not been to Verona (yet), but that would also be a good alternative.

Posted by
396 posts

I would recommend Hotel San donato in Bologna..great location, great breakfast. walking tour of center of Bologna easy from this hotel. For supper I recommend Benso or Diana.
Verona is wonderful too. I would recommend Hotel Aurora right on the piazza. Walk to the Roman ampitheatre and eat at Maffei..easy walk from the hotel.

Posted by
32 posts

Dear All,
Thankyou for your detailed and considerate replies. It has been most helpful in deciding a destination.
Happy future travels,
Again many thanks,
Kathryn