Please sign in to post.

Italian Riviera

We are flying into Nice for a cruise out of Savona, Italy, and are allowing three days to play. Does anyone have any recommendations for towns/villages between Nice and the Cinque Terre to use as a home base? We have been to both of these. Are there some outstanding villages/towns between Nice and the Cinque Terre that Rick Steve's travelers have enjoyed?

Posted by
32812 posts

I thought a similar question earlier in the year, found nothing, and stayed again in Monaco before driving to Venice. Sorry I can't help....

Posted by
32212 posts

Carla, one town you might have a look at is San Remo. There's a big music festival there every year (I believe in the early part of the year).

Posted by
527 posts

I enjoy Villefranche sur Mer in France and Santa Margherita in Italian. From Villefranche you can visit St Paul de Vence, Monte Carlo, Eze and many more. Santa Margherita is a pleasant size and a nice walk to Portofino or a train ride to CT.

Posted by
1166 posts

Thank you for the tip! We would just like the ability to take a train/bus around the area and explore as much as we can without renting a car. Are there any other coastal towns that anyone has found to be a "must see" that can be traveled to by train?

Posted by
1446 posts

How about Portovenere or Camogli? Haven't personally been to them but they're on my must-see list for our next trip. They look beautiful and I believe they both have train access.