Please sign in to post.

Tirano to Vicenza

A friend and I are taking the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano. Is there a regional train from Tirano to Vicenza without going through Milan? We are trying to get there a little faster. Carolyn

Posted by
453 posts

I find the best European train travel website to be sbb.ch. Just put in your desired route and it'l find you the best connections. I find that its much better than the trenitalia site, even though its run by the Swiss Railways.

Posted by
32214 posts

Carolyn, this is similar to your other question in the "Transportation" section. AFAIK there is NO other option from Tirano to Vicenza, other than going through Milano Centrale. ¶ There are only regional trains from Tirano to Milan, and then EuroCity from Milan to Vicenza (reservation compulsory for that leg). ¶ The quickest trip on that route is 4H:44M, which isn't too bad at all. In the same circumstances, my preference would be the train departing at 09:10, arriving 13:54, one change at Milano Centrale (which is just about the right time to check into the Hotel). The "layover" in Milan is only about 25 minutes, which is reasonably short. That's about as "faster" as you'll get. Cheers!

Posted by
1201 posts

There is another way but it takes longer than using trenitalia going through Milan. It involves taking a bus from Tirano to Aprica, changing to another bus that goes from Aprica to Edolo. You then pick up an FNM train from Edolo to Brescia where you would pick up the train coming from Milano Centrale to Vicenza.

Posted by
16338 posts

Or you can take a regional train via Bergamo and Brescia, but again it takes uch longer than going through Milan. the Milan route is your best option. This is a mountainous region and there aren't many east-west trains.