Please sign in to post.

ATM'S

Is there a limit on how much you may withdrawl from ATm'a. Thanks!

Posted by
23296 posts

There can be two types of limits. First, your debit card issuer may have a limited on the number and the total amount withdrawn in a 24 hrs. period. Check with them carefully. And you can often request a higher limit. Second, the ATM terminal may have a limited on the amount for a single withdraw. In high tourist area it not uncommon to encounter a 250 or 300 Euro limit and this is especially true in Italy. But most times I routinely withdraw 500E at a time.

Posted by
10344 posts

Some travelers are unpleasantly surprised to find, as they're standing in front of an ATM in Europe, that the limit at that machine is less than their limit here at home. I don't recall anyone figuring out a way to know, definitely, in advance.

Posted by
32213 posts

Jennifer, one other point to mention is that it would be a REALLY good idea to carry a "backup" ATM card, in case your primary card malfunctions. I can tell you from personal experience, that DOES happen! Also, your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-digit PIN. Finally, don't forget to notify your Bank that you'll be travelling, so they don't "freeze" your cards when the see the card being used in a foreign country. Cheers!

Posted by
1170 posts

When you call your bank to let them know that you will be using your ATM/Credit Card(s) overseas, be sure that you speak with someone in the SECURITY DEPT. Don't count on getting this done properly through a regular customer service representative or an automated system. I have been unpleasantly surprised by a blocked card because this information did not filter down to the right people.

Posted by
842 posts

Jennifer, we always take a back-up ATM card also. In fact we fund a special account with a limited amount of money that we use as our primary ATM account for our trip. Don't forget to grab your money as soon as it comes out of the machine, I was yaking with friends on one trip, did not immediately grab the money, so the machine took my card and money back. Thisis quite common in Europe. This was on a Sunday. I had to come back to the bank the next day, with ID, to retrieve my card and cash. One more reason that I always look for an ATM in or at a bank.