Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

I am considering getting an international drivers license for my upcoming trip to Italy. Anyone had any experience with ordering on line, and if so how well/quickly did this go? Is it truly necessary to have an international license in Italy. I really don't know if I am going to be doing any car rental at this point, but want to be prepared if U decide to. Thanks for any help and information!

Posted by
805 posts

I would just drive to your nearest AAA office and get them to do it. They can issue you one on the stop.

Posted by
831 posts

Naomi,
International drivers license is not required.

Italian law requires you to have an IDP (International Driving Permit) which is just a translation of your license. In the US you can get one at AAA (even if you are not a member). It will cost about $10 and you need two passport size pictures. Takes about 10 minutes. You must have your state license along with the IDP.

Posted by
3313 posts

You can get one at AAA. You'll need a passport-style phote. I've never heard of buying one online but since I can get pet food online, who knows?

There's lots of discussion here about whether or not to bother with one. My opinion is not to worry about one for Italy. You certainly won't need one to rent a car.

Posted by
4555 posts

Naomi....beware! Those websites advertising an "international drivers' LICENSE" are scams....simply a way to separate you from your money. These licenses have no legal standing anywhere in the world. As other posters have noted, visit AAA for an international drivers' PERMIT with a passport-sized photo and your regular license. AAA and the American Automobile Touring Alliance are the only two agencies authorized by the U-S government to issue IDP's. They're required in Italy. I know many have said they've never been asked for one, and will dispense with them in the future. But remember Murphy's Law:)

Posted by
32201 posts

Naomi,

It would be a REALLY good idea to get an I.D.P. for driving in Italy. I'm sure there have been many who have never been asked to produce one by Italian Police, but as previously mentioned remember Murphy's Law!

The I.D.P. is basically used to translate the provisions of your "home" Driver's License. It is NOT a license by itself.

As the others have mentioned, you can obtain these at your local AAA office. It's very inexpensive (the office I use even has provisions to take the photos, so it's "one stop shopping").

Happy travels!

Posted by
59 posts

We got ours at AAA. They took the pictures there, and we left 10 min. later.

Posted by
3313 posts

I'm still waiting for anyone to report that they were fined for not having one...

Posted by
34 posts

Yes AAA was quick & easy to get our driving permits.

Posted by
842 posts

Naomi;

The Internationl drivers PERMIT is just a document that translates all of your drivers license details.

YOU MUST ALSO SHOW THEM YOUR OWN PERSONAL (va) DRIVERS LICENCE if you get stopped. You will also need your own personal DL when you walk up to the rental agency and request the car you rented.

The Italians require it( by law!), but I am too cheap to get a new one each and every time we go to Italy. My friends that live in Germany have always considered it a waste of money.

So, my refusal to follow their law could result in a problem, but I am not worried. If I get pulled over and asked for it, I'll just smile and enjoy the experience. (It will be fun, because we don't speak any Italian!)

On the scale of things to worry about in life, this one rates pretty low.

Posted by
88 posts

Thanks everyone. Know that a lot say you don't have to do it, but I just came back from getting the IDP and it was $15 here in VA. Took about 5 minutes, and I feel better safe than sorry. Don't even know if I will be driving, but................