Please sign in to post.

Good meeting place in Rome

Can someone suggest a good place where i can meet up with my friends in Rome. I'm flying into Rome in mid-September and meeting several friends who will already be there. We're not staying in Rome so a hotel isn't the best idea. Is there a good place for them to sightsee and remain flexible while i fly in, go through customs, and train into Rome. None of us will have cell phones that work in Europe, so we'll be missing our normal US tools that would enable us to stay in touch. Perhaps a museum, etc... Also, looking for a good place to stash my luggage so i can hang in Rome with them. We'll be travelling to Orvieto that night.

Posted by
3313 posts

One place might be the McDonald's by the Spanish Steps. Easy for you to get to from Termini (where you could leave your bags) and for them to sightsee while waiting for you - assuming they take turns.

Posted by
127 posts

my favorite place was the church "santa maria di maggiore"..it is 3 blocks from the termini, and has a big plaza, with a needle point tower..big, but easy to find each other. there are cool eating places down both main streets. the church itself was a nice visit, and a good place to cool off..[this was in april]

Posted by
423 posts

Laurie, I have to agree with Jim's recommendation:
the church "santa maria di maggiore". If you walk out of the Termini station and look to your left, you will see a Farmacia. You cross the street and head down Via Cavour about 4 or 5 blocks you will stumble upon this beautiful church. It's a very large square and several places to grab a quick drink or bite to eat. A magical place - although I never took the time to visit since I was on my way back to the train station from my hotel off of Via Nationale. If you are just there for a few hours I suspect you can check your luggage at Termini for a time. Check other postings on this subject. Good luck and enjoy - I know you will!

Ciao

Posted by
2091 posts

Lauri--Just be sure to check the closing times for the baggage check at Termini if you're not planning to return until your train that night.

Posted by
466 posts

Just to let you know: There is no place in Orvieto train station to store your luggage. You will need to make other arrangements if need be.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Mark. I do have a place to stay in Orvieto, just not in Rome.