Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Rome

We are going to be staying near the Trevi Fountain. We are two adults and two kids ages 8 and 11.
1) What is the best way to get to the Vatican from our hotel ( Bus number /train ?)
2) To visit the Pantheon, Collesium etc can we walk or should we take the public transit.If so what bus number?
3) What would you suggest for the trip from our hotel to the train station ( we will have luggage to)
4)Is it better to buy the Roma Pass since we plan on visting only two of the sites covered by the Roma pass (Pantheon/Colessium etc and the Borghese Gallery)
5)Do children pay less for the Roma pass ?

Thnaks for your thoughts on this.

Posted by
25 posts

If you're by the Trevi, you can walk to the Pantheon in 5-10 minutes. For the Colosseum, I'd hop on the B line of the Metro at the Barberini stop and go to the Colosseo stop. For getting to your hotel, I'd just hop on the Metro from Termini to Barberini. For the Roma Pass, it depends on how many days you are spending in Rome. If you are there for 2-3 days or more, the Roma Pass will get you into the Colosseum and Borghese as well as count as your transit for the metro for 72 hours. The Pantheon is free.

Posted by
4152 posts

1) To get to the vatican you can walk to the piazza barberini or spanish steps (about 10 minutes to either)and take the metro to the ottaviano stop. This will put you a block or so away from the entrance to the vatican museums.

2) It is about a 15 minute walk from the trevi fountain to the pantheon. It is about the same to get to the colosseum from the pantheon. I would suggest walking to both.

3) It will be about a 20 minute walk to the train station if you choose to walk. It is all down hill so if you are pulling luggage it will be pretty easy. You can also have a cab take you. The fare should be less than 12 euros.

4) If you are visiting 2 sites and using the transport part of the pass then you will save money. The best part of the pass is that you will bypass the lines to get into the colosseum and forum. This alone for some people is worth the price of the pass.

5) The kids don't get any discount on the pass or the sites. The only place they will get a discount is at the vatican museums which are not covered by the romapass. The pantheon is free as it's a church.

Make sure to book entrance tickets or a tour of the vatican museums before you go to bypass the line outside. Make sure to make a reservation to the Borghese gallery and use the call me back button to book with the romapass.

Donna