Please sign in to post.

5 days in Rome

Hello fellow travelers!
We will be in Rome from June 10 (early morning) until June 14 (leave june 15 early morning). 5 full days.
1. We want to do a day trip to Florence. Can you please recommend the best way to get there with some options (scenic vs fastest vs cost effective). This is the only day trip we have planned but are open to keeping another day for a day trip so if you can recommend another city close to Rome for a day trip as well.
2. Planning to get the Roma pass. Advice on where to get this? Online before trip or in Rome when we get there.
3. Recommendation for eating places for quick lunches and even some fancier dining spots for dinner.

Thanks!

Posted by
27 posts

The other city we are considering is Pisa or Pompeii. Is Pisa and Florence possible on one day from Rome and back? thoughts on adding Pompeii and taking a day away from Rome? Rome-4 days. Florence 1 OR Rome 3, Florence 1, pompeii 1

Posted by
16893 posts

The only way I recommend traveling from Rome to Florence is by fast train, which takes 1.5 hours and runs frequently - about twice per hour. Scenery is the same whether the train is fast or slow, and there are fewer slow train departures. Regular fare in 2nd class is €43 per person, but you can get fares as low as €29 or 17 by reserving nonrefundable tickets soon at www.trenitalia.com for specific dates and times.

The Roma Pass is sold in person at the same spots where you would have to pick it up if booked online, such as Tourist Information Offices, and also sold at the participating sites, and many tabac/kiosks around the city which usually have no line.

Florence has plenty to see, so I would not try to add Pisa on the same day. Many people only spend a couple of hours at Pisa, which works when it's along your route, but it's a significant detour from your route.

A day trip to Pompeii is also easy to do, starting with the fast train from Rome to Naples (1 hours, same prices as above), then 30 minutes by local Circumvesuviana train connection to Pompeii Scavi station.

Posted by
656 posts

I would not do Pisa and Florence on the same day. There is way too much to see in Florence.

Posted by
7175 posts

Adding to Laura above, you may find cheaper seats offered at more departure times if you choose Thursday over Fri/Sat/Sun. 17 euro each way appears to be the best (nonrefundable) fare available, so if you are certain of travelling, book ASAP !!
http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Posted by
635 posts

I would not do Pisa and Florence on the same day. There is way too much to see in Florence.

I "did" Florence and Pisa on the same day once, a long time ago. BIG mistake! Do not do what I did. My only memory of Pisa is running from the coach plaza to the Piazza del Duomo (over half a mile), snapping three photographs, and running back to board the coach back to the cruise ship at Livorno.

Never again.

Posted by
7175 posts

You should be happy if you can squeeze all this into one day ...
0830 Look for trains departing Rome around this time (takes 1.5hrs)
1100 Accademia (check for tickets NOW !!)
https://webshop.b-ticket.com/webshop/webticket/eventlist?tokenName=CSRFTOKEN&languages=it&languages=en&production=4
1300 Lunch
1400 Duomo
1500 Uffizi (check for tickets NOW !!)
https://webshop.b-ticket.com/webshop/webticket/eventlist?tokenName=CSRFTOKEN&languages=it&languages=en&production=4
1800 Piazza della Signoria - Ponte Vecchio - Piazzale Michelangelo (for classic Florence view)
2030 Look for trains departing Florence around this time

Posted by
11613 posts

I would not try a second daytrip from Roma, you are giving up one day as it is for Firenze (don't try to add Pisa). If you need an afternoon away from Roma, take the regionale train to Frascati.

Posted by
328 posts

I agree with Zoe. I wouldn't give up another day in Rome. We just got back from 5 full days in Rome and had originally planned to spend part of the time in the Amalfi Coast. We are very glad we didn't. We managed to fill 5 days and didn't even visit the Vatican Museums or Borghese Gallery (shocking, I know!). I've already got a list of other things I'd like to see when we go back someday.

I just posted here about my food recommendations for a stay in Rome.

Posted by
7175 posts

The journey is only about 2 hours. Whichever offers the best fare at the most convenient time for you. Trenitalia offers more frequent Frecca services, just in case you need to change trains (by choice or otherwise).

Posted by
27 posts

I booked my train to Firenze and got a great deal but how do I do the Pompeii trip. Buy Rome to Naples separately and then Naples to Pompeii on Circumvesuviana separately? I'm not getting the timings I want. Getting to Pompeii only in the afternoon. Any advice is appreciated

Posted by
11294 posts

" Buy Rome to Naples separately and then Naples to Pompeii on Circumvesuviana separately?"

Yes. If you are looking for Pompei on Trenitalia, you will get trains to the modern city, and this stop is not near the ruins. The Circumvesuviana stops at Pompeii Scavi, which is right at the ruins. Note that the modern city of Pompei has one "i," while the ancient city of Pompeii has two.

You cannot book the Circumvesuviana in advance; it's like a city bus on wheels. Just buy it when you get to Naples (it's under the main station), and make sure you get on the correct line (you want the one that ends in Sorrento).