Please sign in to post.

Train in Italy

I flew into Germany last week and would love to move here permanently. I am flying into Venice, Italy on May 19 and then flying out of Bologna on May 26. I have friends in Florence and Rome and a new acquaintance in Bologna but I am still confused on what to do about the train. I would like to travel from Venice to Milan, florence, Rome and then Bologna but I don't know the best way to purchase my tickets. Should I do single passes or the 4 day Eurorail pass?

Posted by
23297 posts

At this stage just point to point as needed,

Posted by
1449 posts

at the train stations in most cities they have automated kiosks. They are easy to use, and have a choice of languages. Use them to buy point to point tickets, which are a better deal in Italy than rail passes. Sometimes discounted fares are available if you purchase a few days ahead of time, so look at the fare options when you get to the correct page on the machine.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the advice. Do you know if they take credit card or is it just Euro?

Posted by
32216 posts

Annette,

You may want to have a look at www.roninrome.com for information on using the automated ticket Kiosks at Italian rail stations. There are also staffed ticket offices at many stations, but there may be long queues so the Kiosks are often a better option.

"Do you know if they take credit card or is it just Euro?"

That depends. For example, on my last trip through Milano Centrale it appeared that the Kiosks at track level accepted only credit cards. However, the Kiosks two floors down adjacent to the ticket office would also accept Euro cash.

The Italian rail system is generally easy to use, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting around. If you have access to the Internet during your travels, you can check either www.bahn.de or www.trenitalia.com for information on train departure times, number of changes, etc. It's good information to have when planning your journey.

One other important point to note is that some cities have more than one rail station, so it's important to choose the correct destination. For example, for travel to Venice, you'll want to select Venezia Santa Lucia as your destination and NOT Mestre.

Cheers!