Please sign in to post.

In addition to Venice?

Me and my wife are planning a vacation to Europe in early June. We will be arriving in Venice from Delhi on Jun 8th and departing from Venice back to Delhi on June 16th...so we have about 9 days. In addition to Venice, which other cities in Europe we can do? We are looking for a romantic vacation....both of us like historical monuments, walking in streets and sitting in piazzas.....

Posted by
1170 posts

Try spending some time in Tuscany, perhaps Florence and/or Siena. Both are very historic and walkable cities.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks. I will find out more. Any suggestions outside of Italy as I have been to Italy before?

Posted by
7 posts

I think this may depend upon whether you will be renting a car and if you like to travel at a leisurely pace or fit in as many destinations as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave Italy! However, I do understand the desire to see as many places as possible.

An initial suggestion if you have a car rental:

Drive to Munich making some stops along the way. Do not miss Bassano del Grappa in Italy, one of my favorite small cities in the country. Then choose from stops in Trento, Italy; Bolzano, Italy; Innsbruck, Austria; Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany; and Munich, Germany.

Posted by
15585 posts

I think you will spend too much time travelling to see other countries. From your description, I suggest Verona (and perhaps the opera there) and Florence, with a day trip to Siena or San Gimignano.

Posted by
3250 posts

I think that Chani has a great plan. Maybe Venice (2 nights); Verona (2 nights); and Florence (3 nights); with your final night in Venice before you return to Delhi.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you want suggestions for outside of Italy, you might want to post that in the non-Italy sections of this Travelers Helpline. You'll probably get better results.

Posted by
1 posts

If you've been to Italy but want another country (presumably a neighboring country), think about Slovenia (Ljubljana, Piran, Bled, countryside - all worthwhile - trains/buses are easy connecting through Trieste; be careful with rental cars and driving into Eastern Europe), Austria (if you have a rental car, the options are endless for beautiful towns/countryside, otherwise, Vienna is gorgeous that time of year and Salzburg is charming), or even a train ride to Munich.

But, what part(s) of Italy did visit before? You may want to try a new region/town ... so many options.

Posted by
23 posts

Appreciate all your inputs, guys!

In Italy, I have visited Venice, Rome, Pisa, Verona and Milan.

Austria sounds nice. I can do Salzburg and Vienna in addition to Venice.

Initially, I was thinking of going to Prague and Salzburg but few of my friends told me that though Prague is a beautiful place, lately it has become a hot spot for cheap drinking parties.

Posted by
649 posts

RG

I checked out the trains from Venice to Salzburg then on to Vienna- it goes by way of Insbruck-a long train ride, so it will take a full day of travel.

Maybe a short train ride into the mountains around Cortina.

Then as the previous poster said - train to Trieste- rent a car and head down the Croatian coast to Pula- then I believe you you can take a ferry from there or Piran back to Venice and fly home.

If you had more time I would certainly go for the Salzburg - Vienna area.