Please sign in to post.

Italy train tickets. Buy ahead?

Does anyone know if it's better to buy ahead in Italy? We are going from Milan to Firenze, then a few days later down to Rome. We are traveling in early June.

Assuming our CC will work (another issue) or we had someone able to do it in the EU, do you really get a better fare?

Online I see the Meno30 discount available. When we're in Italy, it always seems pretty cheap just going to the station so we're wondering if it really is less ahead of time or better to just go to the station a couple of days before.

Thanks!

Posted by
306 posts

There is no need to buy train tickets ahead of time. buy your tickets point to point at the station. You can use the automated kiosk it is very easy and self explanatory.

Posted by
1018 posts

Buy them when you are in Italy from the kiosks located in the stations. You will not have a credit card problem, nor a language problem. You may discover a place you want to visit while you are there, so buy as you go.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
1449 posts

It is less ahead of time, as you can see on the trenitalia website. Problem is that your USA credit card won't work. If you have friends abroad who can buy you tix then you can get the better rate. On the other hand, be sure to consider how much trouble you go to versus how much you could save. Personally I just go to the train station a few days before, or even the day of travel if I want to keep my options open.