Please sign in to post.

Dolomite hiking

Any suggestions for two days of August hiking in the Dolomites? We hope to spend one night in a rifugio, ideally making a loop route. Steves' suggests the Sasso Lungo loop and the Schlern summit hike, but we are wondering about other options. Probably basing from Bolzano/Castelrotto, but should we consider other options? We're an active and experienced hiking family of six. thanks,

Posted by
16285 posts

Hi Charley---you and I have talked about this already, but I'll just say that I've done lots of other hikes in the Dolomites (from Val Badia and Alpe di Siusi) and those two are still my favorites.

rigugio Bolzano is well-situated for views, and looks like a nice pace to stay (we only went as a dayhike). At least when we were there, the area nearby was a grazing area for mares and foals of the local briad (Tyrolian Halfoinger horses) wich was a real treat to see.

For the Sassl Lungo circuit, there are several options, but the most unusual would be Tony Demetz (sp?) Huette, in the notch between the two Sassos. It's like a moonscape up there; very dramatic! But I'm not sure if they take overnight guests. If not, I've seen recommendations for Rifugio Vicenza, which is at the bottom of the valley between the two, on the side facing Alpe di Siusi. This is more remote and inaccessible than some of the other huts, so quieter.

You could check "Hiking in the Dolomites" by Gillian Price for more ideas. But, which I don't think Rick is in any way a hiking expert, in this case he picked two excellent ones. Either one would offer a nice loop.