Please sign in to post.

Malpensa to Lake Como

My husband and I are starting our 19 day Italy tour in Varenna on Lake Como. We will be there two nights. After much reading I am still in need of advise. We land at Malpensa at 2:00PM after a 16 hour trip. After such a long trip is it unrealistic to try to make it to Varenna that day or should we stay near the airport and head for the lake in the morning? Also, I can't find any information on the best way to get to Varenna from the airport. I understand the train station in Milan is a great distance from the airport so what is the best way to get station? I so appreciate your help.

Posted by
32216 posts

Donna,

Although you'll be tired after the long flight, I'd still press on and travel to Varenna right away, as it's a fairly easy trip.

When you arrive at Milano Centrale, you can buy tickets for the train to Varenna either from an automated machine or from the staffed ticket office (two floors down from track level). When you purchase the tickets, specify Varenna-Esino as the destination. When you check the large printed charts, it's shown as a stop on the line to Sondrio. There are frequent trains on that route, so you shouldn't have long to wait.

After determining which track no. (Binario) your train is departing from, monitor the electronic boards to ensure that it agrees with the printed charts (sometimes the track no. is changed). DON'T FORGET to validate your ticket in the yellow machine!

The trip to Varenna will be about one hour. The train will pass through a tunnel just before arrival at the station (you'll exit on the lake side). BE SURE to watch others to determine how to open the doors. Sometimes there's a red button to push, but in a lot of the older second class cars you'll have to lift a lever. Have your luggage ready and disembark quickly, as the train only stops for about a minute! You may have to cross one track to get to the station building.

There will likely be Taxi's waiting, but depending on which Hotel you're staying in, you could also walk. If you're going to walk, go downhill to the small Bridge, and then turn left. From the bridge, the directions will depend on which Hotel you'll be at.

Be sure to have dinner one night at Albergo Olivedo by the Dock. Laura's Ravioli is excellent! Sitting on the Patio in the sunshine with a fine hot meal and a glass of Vino is one of my favourite activities there!

As you'll be starting a tour, I wouldn't bother with a rental car. Coming off a 16 hour flight in an unfamiliar country is not the time to be driving in Italy!

Happy travels!

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you for the great info....One more question. Once we land at the airport are shuttles to the train station easily available? Is there a central location or are there shuttle locations throughout the airport?

Thank you for making our planning successful!

Posted by
32216 posts

Donna,

Click the blue-coloured link in the first reply. That will provide information on the Malpensa Shuttle including pick-up locations. You can buy your ticket in the airport, or directly from the Driver. I'll be there later this spring, so will also be using the Shuttle.

Cheers!