Please sign in to post.

Tap water

I have been to Italy many times but have never knowingly had tap water. A friend is going soon and asked me if tap water was safe. I don't know as even at home I drink bottled. What is your experience?

Posted by
23278 posts

I had drank tap water all over Europe including Italy and even the ever flowing fountains in Rome. It is perfectly safe. You are not traveling to third world countries and they had a heath standard equal to the US.

Posted by
3313 posts

It's fine. As Frank said, you can drink from the many water fountains throughout the country.

Posted by
100 posts

The water is WONDERFUL and COLD. We read/heard from RS that Italy's water comes down from the Dolomites and we followed his advice from Venice all the way down to Rome....we bought a couple of water bottles in the beginning for the bottles, kept them, and whenever we saw water fountains/spouts we filled them up again! From the tiny island of Burano where the spicket flowed water in the square, down to Rome on St. Peter's Square where there was a huge spout - we filled up our bottles!

Posted by
74 posts

Yes,it is safe and you're going to need it..Its hot hot hot there in summer

Posted by
1449 posts

drink tap water all the time; when I arrive I buy a 1L bottle of water and then refill it until I lose the bottle... Saves a lot of 1-2E expenses.

Posted by
32213 posts

MaryL,

I've never had a problem with tap water in any of the countries in western Europe, including Italy. As someone else mentioned, I usually buy a bottle of water when I first arrive, and then just refill as necessary.

I asked one of my Italian Teachers (who was originally from Padova) if the tap water in Italy was safe. Her answer was "do you want to DIE!" However, despite that dire warning, many others in Italy have told me that it's perfectly safe. I believe water quality is regulated by the E.U., so that's something to consider also.

One caveat to mention though - if an outside tap (in a Piazza or whatever) says Aqua non Potabile, that means the water is NOT suitable for human consumption.

Cheers!

Posted by
13 posts

Tap water in Italy is just fine, it even tastes fine. Like Mike, we re-filled our water bottles with tap water. I just wished the restaurants would serve tap water! After we realized we couldn't have (free) tap water, we decided to just order chianti with dinner - it costs just as much (well almost!

Posted by
13 posts

They asked "mineral, or still water?" and I said, "just plain water" and I got 'acqua naturale' in a bottle, 1.5 euros! How do you say 'tap water' in Italian?

Posted by
32213 posts

Mila,

If I remember my Italian lessons correctly, Acqua Rubinetto is the correct term.

A similar term that was mentioned here in a previous post was "Acqua Gabinetto". DON'T USE THAT ONE, or you'll have the Waiters rolling with laughter in the aisles (and you WON'T want to drink the water that they bring).

Cheers!

Posted by
7737 posts

Tap water in your room or in a business is always safe to drink, but not always tasty. Bologna, for example, has pretty foul tasting water. It's worth it to spring for bottled water at a restaurant there.

Posted by
12172 posts

Tap water is safe.

In Rome water from the fountains is some of the best water you will taste anywhere. Look for the little nase (nose) fountains. You hold your finger or thumb over the bottom and the hole at the "nose" turns into a nice water fountain.